Dr James Jewkes
Lecturer of Industrial Fluid Dynamics
School/Department: Engineering, School of
Telephone: +44 (0)116 252 3716
- J.W. Jewkes, EPSRC New Investigator Award, EP/V02695X/1 â€œBetter Bubblers: Jet Impingement Within a Dead-End Channel "", Â£310073, 2021-2024.
- E. Abdelfatah, J.W. Jewkes, Innovate UK TSB TS/R011249/1 â€œ3D-printed conformal cooling channels for extended tooling life"", Â£235574, 2018-2020 (extended to 2021).
- A.D. Lucey, R. Narayanaswamy, J.W. Jewkes, V. Narayanan, and Y.M. Chung, ARC DP130103271 â€œThe phenomenology of unsteady impinging jets: fluid dynamics and heat transfer"", $260,000 AUD, 2013-2016.
- Postdoc: CFD investigation of the haemodynamics of flow in the left descending coronary artery at Curtin University in Western Australia, 2009-2011
- EC Grant G4RD-CT-2002-00748 â€œAeromems II : Advanced aerodynamic flow control using MEMS."", employed as a research associate on this project during my PhD in the large-eddy simulation of turbulent boundary layers and jets at Warwick University.
- Reviewer for various journals including Journal of Biomechanics, Physics of Fluids and the AIAA Journal.
- Member of the EPSRC Associate Peer Review College.
- Three journal papers included in the REF2021 submission at Coventry University.
Selected Journal Papers
Abo-Serie, E., Jewkes, J., Zeng, T., and Liang, Y., Simplified CFD Model for Assessing the Cooling Channel Design in 3D Printed High-Pressure Tools for Aluminium Alloy Casting, SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0270, 2021.
Chaugule, V., Narayanaswamy, R., Lucey, A.D., Narayanan, V. and Jewkes, J.W., 2018. Particle image velocimetry and infrared thermography of turbulent jet impingement on an oscillating surface. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 98, pp.576-593.
Natarajan, T., Jewkes, J.W., Lucey, A.D., Narayanaswamy, R. and Chung, Y.M., 2017. Large-eddy simulations of a turbulent jet impinging on a vibrating heated wall. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 65, pp.277-298.
Chaichana, T., Sun, Z. and Jewkes, J.W., 2014. Impact of plaques in the left coronary artery on wall shear stress and pressure gradient in coronary side branches. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 17(2), pp.108-118.
Chaichana, T., Sun, Z. and Jewkes, J.W., 2013. Hemodynamic impacts of left coronary stenosis: A patient-specific analysis. Acta of bioengineering and biomechanics, 15(3).
Chaichana, T., Sun, Z. and Jewkes, J.W., 2013. Hemodynamic analysis of the effect of different types of plaques in the left coronary artery. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 37(3), pp.197-206.
Chaichana, T., Sun, Z. and Jewkes, J.W., 2013. Hemodynamic impacts of various types of stenosis in the left coronary artery bifurcation: a patient-specific analysis. Physica Medica, 29(5), pp.447-452.
Chaichana, T., Sun, Z. and Jewkes, J.W., 2012. Computational fluid dynamics analysis of the effect of plaques in the left coronary artery. Computational and mathematical methods in medicine, 2012.
Chaichana, T., Sun, Z. and Jewkes, J.W., 2011. Computation of hemodynamics in the left coronary artery with variable angulations. Journal of biomechanics, 44(10), pp.1869-1878.
Jewkes, J.W., Chung, Y.M. and Carpenter, P.W., 2011. Modifications to a turbulent inflow generation method for boundary-layer flows. AIAA journal, 49(1), pp.247-250..
Current PhD students:
- T. Zeng (supv. E. Abo-Serie, M. Henry, J.W. Jewkes), Conformal cooling of high pressure aluminium die-casting cooling channels, Coventry University
- E. Oran (supv. E. Abo-Serie, M. Henry, J.W. Jewkes), Design and optimisation of impeller blades for a heart assist pump, Coventry University
- A. Divakaran (supv. E. Gkanas, E. Abo-Serie, J.W. Jewkes), Design and optimisation of a cooling system for an e-scooter motor, Coventry University
Completed PhD Students:
- T. Chaichana (supv. Z. Sun, J.W. Jewkes), â€œHaemodynamic evaluation of coronary artery plaques: prediction of coronary atherosclerosis and disease progression."", Curtin University, 2012.
- T. Natarajan (supv. A.D. Lucey, R. Narayanaswamy, J.W. Jewkes, â€œLarge-eddy simulations of flow and heat transfer for jet impingement on static and vibrating surfaces"", Curtin University, 2017.
- V. Chaugule (supv. A.D. Lucey, R. Narayanaswamy, J.W. Jewkes), â€œExperimental investigation of fluid dynamics and heat transfer characteristics of a turbulent jet impinging on an oscillating target surface"", Curtin University, 2017.
- EG3421 Flight dynamics, Control and Avionics
- EG2004 Engineering Experimentation and Analysis
Coventry University, UK, 2016-2021
- Mechanical Science (1st year/BEng) -2017-2021, fluid mechanics lecturer.
- Thermofluid Mechanics (2nd year/BEng) - 2016-2021, fluid mechanics lecturer.
- Aircraft Aerodynamics (2nd year/BEng) - 2016-2020, CFD lecturer, module leader.
University of South Wales, UK, 2015-2016
- Course Leader MSc Mechanical Engineering
- Advanced Computational Fluid Dynamics (4th year/MSc) - 2015/2016-, unit coordinator, lecturer.
- Engineering Thermofluids (2nd Year (BSc & BEng), 3rd Year) - 2015/2016-, unit coordinator, lecturer.
- Thermofluids for Engineers (1st Year) - 2015/2016-, lecturer.
- Aerodynamics - Compressible Flow (2nd Year) - 2015/2016-, lecturer.
- Design and Analysis (2nd Year) - 2015/2016-
Curtin University, Western Australia, 2009-2015
- Fluid Mechanics (2nd Year) - 2012, 2014 module leader, lecturer
- Fluid Mechanics (4th Year) - Industrial Fluid Mechanics, lecturer.
- Engineering Mechanics (1st Year), lecturer.