I graduated from the University of Bologna (1993) and then spent one year at the Centre for European Law at the University of Oslo (1993-94) as a visiting researcher working on the institutional aspects of the Agreement on the European Economic Area. After a very short spell in private practice I decided to focus upon an academic career. I obtained an LL.M in International and European Law (1995) and a Ph.D. (2000) from the University of Durham.
I am interested in how the law impacts upon the lives of ordinary people on the issues that really matter to them: what can the law do to protect my position as a carer? Does the legal principle of equality make a difference? Can I be discriminated against because of an algorithm? Should the law protect human’s inherent vulnerability? The recent Pandemic has sadly highlighted how important these questions are. I have published extensively on these topics and in my research I rely upon a socio-legal approach and on feminist theories in particular the ethic of care.
Caring Responsibilities in European Law and Policy: Who Cares? (Routledge 2020) pp 198 with A. Masselot
‘La directive de 2019 sur l'équilibre entre vie professionnelle et vie privée : une nouvelle étape franchie’ (2020) 3 Revue de Droit Comparé du Travail et de la Sécurité Sociale 8-19
‘Here we go again: the Court the value of care and traditional roles within the family’ (2020) 57 Common Market Law Review 1-12
'The Unintended Consequences of Brexit: the Case of Work-Life Balance’ in Dustin Ferreira Millns (eds) Gender and Queer Perspectives on Brexit (Hart Publishing 2019) 61-91
Reconciling Work and Family Life in EU Law and Policy (Palgrave Macmillian 2010) pp. 200 with A. Masselot
Gender equality the legal dimension of care and family law at both domestic EU and international level.
I am teaching Family Law Caring and the Law and Law and Gender.
Press and media
Gender equality care and work-life balance
* Invited to the Panel of Experts at the event Women in Health: 'It's time to care!' College of Europe (Bruges) 11 March 2021
* Mainstreaming Gender Equality in Law Schools Gender Mainstreaming Law School Curricula Council of Europe (Bruges) 7 December 2020
* Tecniche e valori della conciliazione vita e lavoro nella Direttiva 2019/1158 Dal Congedo Parentale all’Equilibrio tra Attività Professionale e Vita Familiare per i Genitori e i Prestatori di Assistenza’ Rome 20 January 2020
* Work Life Balance: Brexit and Beyond Academy of European Law Trier 2-3 December 2019
* Invited to the Panel of Experts at the event: A Modern Agenda for Work Life Balance Eurofund (Brussels) 16 October 2018
* The Gendered Consequences of the Collective of the Collaborative Economy Brussels Global Law Week 17 May 2018.
* The proposed Work-Life Balance Directive EFTA High Level Seminar on European Labour Authority and Work-Life Balance Brussels 13 March 2018
* Equal Treatment between Men and Women and the Collaborative Economy European Network of Legal Experts in the field of Gender Equality Brussels 29 November 2017.
Fellow HEA (2015)