I am an NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Diabetes and Endocrinology based at Leicester Diabetes Centre. I have completed my PhD on gut hormone changes after sleeve gastrectomy the most commonly performed bariatric procedure worldwide. My main interests include how to best combine lifestyle pharmacological and surgical treatments for management of obesity and type 2 diabetes. I am also interested in the mechanisms of weight loss weight maintenance and diabetes remission after bariatric surgery and identifying potential treatments for postprandial hyperinsulinaemic hypoglycaemia.
Ongoing studies as Principal Investigator:
1. The effect of Canagliflozin 300mg once daily on glucose homeostasis after bariatric surgery in people without diabetes. A proof-of-concept randomised crossover study (CONTROL study).
Funder: Academy of Medical Sciences
2. The effect of increased salt intake with a carbohydrate rich meal on glucose homeostasis after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in people without diabetes (SALT study).
Funder: Novo Nordisk UK Research Foundation
3. The impact of fat-rich preload before a carbohydrate rich meal on glucose homeostasis in patients without diabetes after sleeve gastrectomy (CARLOTA study).
Funder: Health Education East Midlands
4. The effect of an acute aerobic bout on time spent on hypoglycaemia in people after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: A randomised crossover study. (BariEx study Co-PI with Dr Louisa Herring)
Funder: Novo Nordisk UK Research Foundation
Ongoing studies as co-investigator:
1. STRIVE study: Effectiveness and cost of integrating a pragmatic pathway for prescribing Liraglutide 3.0 mg in obesity services.
Funder: Novo Nordisk A/S
(0) 1. Papamargaritis D, le Roux CW. Do Gut Hormones Contribute to Weight Loss and Glycaemic Outcomes after Bariatric Surgery? Nutrients. 2021 Feb 26;13(3):762.
2. Papamargaritis D, Al-Najim W, Lim J, Crane J, Lean M, le Roux C, McGowan B, O'Shea D, Webb D, Wilding J, Davies MJ. Effectiveness and cost of integrating a pragmatic pathway for prescribing liraglutide 3.0 mg in obesity services (STRIVE study): study protocol of an open-label, real-world, randomised, controlled trial. BMJ Open. 2020 Feb 13;10(2):e034137.
3. Papamargaritis D, Zacharoulis D, Sioka E, Zachari E, Bargiota A, Koukoulis G, Tzovaras G. Differences in Anthropometric and Metabolic Parameters Between Subjects with Hypoglycaemia and Subjects with Euglycaemia After an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test Six Months After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. Obes Surg. 2016 Nov;26(11):2747-2755.
4. Papamargaritis D, Koukoulis G, Sioka E, Zachari E, Bargiota A, Zacharoulis D, Tzovaras G. Dumping symptoms and incidence of hypoglycaemia after provocation test at 6 and 12 months after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Obes Surg. 2012 Oct;22(10):1600-6
5. Papamargaritis D, le Roux CW, Sioka E, Koukoulis G, Tzovaras G, Zacharoulis D. Changes in gut hormone profile and glucose homeostasis after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2013 Mar-Apr;9(2):192-201.
6. Papamargaritis D, Aasheim ET, Sampson B, le Roux CW. Copper, selenium and zinc levels after bariatric surgery in patients recommended to take multivitamin-mineral supplementation. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2015;31:167-72.
7. Papamargaritis D, Panteliou E, Miras AD, le Roux CW. Mechanisms of weight loss, diabetes control and changes in food choices after gastrointestinal surgery. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2012 Dec;14(6):616-23.
8. Htike ZZ, Zaccardi F, Papamargaritis D, Webb DR, Khunti K, Davies MJ. Efficacy and safety of glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists in type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and mixed-treatment comparison analysis. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2017 Apr;19(4):524-536.
9. Zaccardi F, Dhalwani NN, Papamargaritis D, Webb DR, Murphy GJ, Davies MJ, Khunti K. Nonlinear association of BMI with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 414,587 participants in prospective studies. Diabetologia. 2017 Feb;60(2):240-248.
10. Dhalwani NN, Zaccardi F, Waheed H, Mytton J, Papamargaritis D, Webb DR, Evison F, Lilford R, Davies MJ, Khunti K. Cardiovascular, cancer and mortality events after bariatric surgery in people with and without pre-existing diabetes: A nationwide study. J Diabetes. 2019 Apr;11(4):265-272.
I have supervised two distance learning MSc students to completion (2019 2020) and I am currently mentoring an NIHR ACF in Diabetes and Endocrinology.
I am willing to supervise PhD students at the following areas:
• gut hormones
• bariatric surgery
• new pharmacotherapies (including their combination with lifestyle interventions) for obesity and type 2 diabetes
• postprandial hyperinsulinaemic hypoglycaemia after bariatric surgery
Since 2016 I have regularly presented for different modules of the Diabetes MSc (University of Leicester).
• Obesity module
• Glycaemia module
• Diabetes complications module
I was the lead clinician for the “Diabetes Complications” module (2018-2019).
Press and media
Topics with expertise
• Bariatric surgery
• Type 2 diabetes
• Member of the Association of British Clinical Diabetologists (ABCD) Academic Subcommittee
• Editorial Board member of the international journal Obesity Surgery
• Ptychion Iatrikes
• MRCP (UK)
• SCE Diabetes and Endocrinology
• SCOPE certified