Continuing Professional Development for English Language Teachers
Module code: ED7705
The knowledge base of ELT is in a state of dynamic evolution, with our understandings of teaching and learning developed by a rich body of research. Such a situation puts the onus on English teaching professionals to continue learning and to develop their knowledge and skills after completion of initial training. This module aims to provide an overview of models of teacher learning and includes consideration of a range of practical activities which contribute to the English language teacher’s continuing professional development.
- Stages and changes in teachers’ careers and professional needs
- Models of teacher professional development
- The nature of teaching expertise: teachers’ beliefs, assumptions and knowledge.
- The role of observation, teachers’ journals, working with mentors and other techniques to foster professional development.
- Practitioner research, including Action Research, Exploratory Practice, and Lesson Study