Welcome to our site on all things to do with urgent care for frail older people. The team behind this website have been studying urgent care for frail older people for over ten years, including a number of large-scale research projects, and a plethora of quality improvement projects. We do not have all the answers, but we have done a lot of testing and have tried to learn about what works, but also what does not work.
We have also worked closely with policy-makers, educationalists and most importantly patients and the public, to try and design services that improve outcomes for patients. We have done a lot of testing and have tried to learn about what works, but also what does not work both within our local context as well through our work with national and international networks.
This site is an effort to try to bring much of that learning into one place so that you can peruse at your leisure and try to work out what might work in your setting. We hope you enjoy, and if you have any queries or feedback, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
- We were the UK's first GEM consultants, and we've overseen more than ten GEM training fellowships since 2011
- We have overseen a number of PhD candidates, academic trainees and medical students studying for an intercalated BSc.
- Board member, European Academy of Medicine for Ageing (since 2016)
- Led the development of an EU curriculum on geriatric emergency medicine
- Prepared the learning outcomes on frailty for the UK geriatric medicine curriculum, accepted by the General Medical Council in September 2016
Find out more about our research activities on our research pages.
Our books and book chapters
- Co-editor and chapter authors in: Geriatric Emergency Medicine, Springer 2017
- Conroy S, McNamara R. Common geriatric emergencies. In: Michel J-P, Beattie B, Martin F, et al., eds. Oxford Textbook of Geriatric Medicine. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017
- Urgent care for older people, Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine, 2016
- Acute hospital care for frail older people, Brocklehurst’s textbook of geriatric medicine, 2016
- Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment, Acute medicine, 5th edition, Wiley-Blackwell, 2016
- Co-editor and chapter author in: Gosney M, Harper A, Conroy S. Oxford Desk Reference: Geriatric Medicine: Oxford University Press, 2012
You can find out more about our research output on our publications page.