Unitemps - Hiring a student for part-time work
The Unitemps office in the Career Development Service facilitates the recruitment of University of Leicester students into temporary roles with companies in the Leicestershire area. A temporary role is an ideal opportunity to employ a student to join your company in a role where they can develop transferable skills and knowledge in a practical working environment and provide you with creativity and innovation within your business. We have a worldwide reputation for top quality teaching and research and have a diverse population of talented students looking to gain professional work experience.
What are the benefits for you?
- Add value to your organisation by inspiring new students to enter your field and promoting your brand
- Invest in early career development. Provide students with valuable employment experience to develop transferable skills and knowledge
- Increase your diversity. Our students come from all over the world, providing an international outlook, language skills, and knowledge of overseas markets
- Bring fresh ideas and enthusiasm. Our students are highly committed and enthusiastic, and keen to develop themselves
- Develop a talent pipeline. Post assignment, consider recruiting the students onto a Placement or Year in Industry, already equipped with experience working for you
- Giving back to the community. Providing our students with a sense of local community and encouraging them to stay within Leicestershire post-graduation and boost the local economy
- Administrative support. We conduct all employability compliance checks on your behalf including Right to Work checks and references. We also payroll the students and invoice you monthly.
What kind of work can a student do?
Our students can offer you varied skills within roles ranging from customer service, events and administrative support to working in lab based environments and providing marketing and social media support. We would be happy to discuss with you any work opportunities you have available to determine whether this might be an appropriate role for a student. It is important to bear in mind that they may have little or no prior work experience, but will be equipped with support from the Career Development Service and the wider University to enable them to successfully transition into the workplace.
How many hours a week can a student work?
To avoid having a detrimental impact on their studies the University of Leicester regulations limit the working hours of students as follows:
- During term time no more than 15 hours a week;
- During vacation time – no restrictions
- No more than 15 hours per week year round;
- PGT students are not eligible for advertised university holidays unless specified by the terms of their course and confirmed by their Certificate of Employability.
These restrictions apply at the specified times regardless of the working hours limit on a restricted visa (e.g. 20 hours per week for a Tier 4/Student route visa)
Find further information about University term dates.
What we ask of you
Working in your organisation can be a hugely rewarding and enriching experience for a student. It offers them a chance to gain professional skills, get hands-on experience, and opens up new career possibilities.
With that in mind, during their time with you, we ask that you provide them with the appropriate tools required to complete their role and can offer a supportive working environment.
What should I pay a student?
The Career Development Service is happy to advertise all genuine jobs or work experience opportunities that are fully compliant with UK employment legislation including National Minimum Wage and National and National Living Wage. The legislation is an important piece of legislation aimed at providing employees with decent minimum standards and fairness in the workplace. It applies to nearly all workers and sets hourly rates below which pay must not be allowed to fall.
If you are interested in hiring a temporary student worker, please contact us at email@example.com. We will be delighted to talk to you about our students and how we can support your recruitment needs.