CLEAPSS: Radiation Protection Supervisor training
This all-day session includes numerous practical demonstrations with the relevant safety points embedded within them, and answers questions frequently asked on the CLEAPSS helpline. There will also be opportunities to raise issues and to ask specific questions.
Please note this course is intended for teachers. Technicians are welcome to attend provided they come with the teacher who has been identified as the RPS in their school.
- Secondary science teachers
Date and time
- Friday 10 December 2021 and Friday 1 April 2022
- 9.30am - 3.30pm/4.00pm
- £150 for CLEAPSS members (only CLEAPSS members can attend this course)
- Legislation and guidance;
- Role and responsibilities of the RPA, RPO and RPS;
- Nuclear physics;
- Radioactivity and radiation - teaching and resources;
- Storage of radioactive substances;
- Using radioactive sources to demonstrate the properties of ionising radiations;
- Doses and biological effects of ionising radiations;
- Radiological protection and its management;
- Responsibilities of the RPS, including Local Rules
- Different types of radioactive sources and their care (including preparing sources for half-life investigations);
- Cloud chambers;
- Monitoring and record keeping; including leak testing and contamination checking
- Disposal of radioactive sources.
Participants are asked to bring with them to the course:
- A list of their sources in their school (if sources cannot be identified, please bring a photo)
- Photos of their radioactive storage