Study Abroad Unit

Fees and funding

How much studying for a year abroad will cost depends on where you go and your personal circumstances.

All students participating in the Study Abroad programme from the University of Leicester are required to cover costs across the following categories (non-exhaustive list):

  • Academic expenses (i.e. tuition)
  • Preparation/travel expenses
  • Local living expenses (i.e. accommodation)
  • Personal expenses

Academic expenses

When you study abroad through the University of Leicester, you are considered an 'exchange student' and you will not pay any tuition fees to your host university. You will continue to pay your tuition fees to the University of Leicester at the following rates:


  • £1385 to University of Leicester (for students starting their degree programme in 2024/25)


  • 25% of full year tuition fee to University of Leicester

There may be additional fees payable directly to the host university (such as 'mandatory fees', 'administration fees' or 'student fees'). These will not fall under the tuition fee waiver and you will be responsible for paying them.

Scholarships and funding

Depending on your destination you may be eligible to apply for financial support from one of these scholarship and grant providers.

Turing Scheme

The University of Leicester has successfully bid funding under the Turing Scheme to support outbound study and work abroad each year since the scheme launched, most recently for the 2023/24 academic year. Up-to-date information on the availability of Turing funding will be provided to you when you are preparing for your year abroad.


A number of external organisations offer scholarships for Study Abroad placements including the British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association (BUTEX), the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO), and the ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme. Every year, some of our partner universities also offer a small scholarship or stipend to visiting students.

Student Finance

During your study abroad year you’ll retain access to the student finance (UK government loans or grants) that you're entitled to during a standard academic year. You may also be able to apply for a travel grant from Student Finance England (or Wales/Scotland).

Back to top