OET preparation course
This course is typically delivered as a three week online semi-intensive programme designed to prepare healthcare professionals to take the OET (Occupational English Test) exam to enable them to requalify to practice in the UK. The OET exam is a four-skill English exam which is accepted by bodies such as the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and the General Medical Council (GMC) as part of their registration process.
N.B. If you are an NHS Trust and are interested in having a bespoke version of this course delivered for your staff (online or face-to-face), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements.
In this course, participants will be supported in preparing for their OET exam through:
- Familiarising them with each of the four skill sections of the OET exam (speaking, listening, reading and writing).
- Exploring effective strategies for each part, and putting these into practice.
- Taking timed practice tests, and receiving in-depth feedback on mock writing and speaking tests.
- Exploring a range of useful OET resources and strategies.
- Connecting them with other healthcare professionals studying for OET.
- Reflecting on their individual progress towards being exam-ready, and deciding what their next steps will be.
- Two and a half hours of classes on each day of the course (25 taught hours in total, usually in the mornings).
- Experienced OET tutors.
- Two hours of set homework and/or independent study are expected on each day of the course.
- Access to a dedicated online learning platform for this course (available for one year after the end of the course) containing:
- daily class materials and homework tasks.
- a range of useful OET learning resources and practice test questions (some of which are not widely available online).
- recordings of the live classes (so that participants can re-watch these at a later date if they wish to).
- a discussion forum where participants can post questions and share useful resources and strategies for succeeding in the exam.
- In-depth feedback on writing tasks and mock speaking tests.
- Meet other healthcare professionals who are working towards their OET exam.
- Exam and study tips from a successfully requalified health professional.
- An opportunity to reflect on one’s learning needs going forward, via a 1:1 tutorial with a tutor and an individual action plan.
- Small class size – maximum of 16 participants.
- Statement of completion if you attend 85% or more of the taught sessions and complete the majority of the set homework.
- 25 hours of live Online classes.
- Access to study materials.
- Statement of completion.
What's not included
- OET examination fees. Participants are responsible for arranging their own OET examination entries.