Terms and conditions (UK Students)
Although you are welcome to get started and create and share your video today, entries need to be formally submitted via the Citizens of Change Scholarship application form as a video URL. Preferred platforms are Instagram, YouTube or TikTok. If these aren’t possible, please email CoCScholarship@leicester.ac.uk for an alternative option.
Any UK student who has applied to the University of Leicester and who holds an offer to study with us on a full-time campus-based undergraduate course starting in September 2024 is eligible to apply for the Citizens of Change Scholarship. To receive the scholarship, students must accept the University of Leicester as their firm choice by 7 June 2024.
Sharing on social media
We intend to share select entries on the University of Leicester’s social media platforms. If you do not consent to have your video shared, please email CoCScholarship@leicester.ac.uk after submitting your application with your name and applicant ID.
- Videos must be your own original work and not contain other user’s footage or copyrighted material, trademarks or labels.
- We encourage you to share your entry on your own social media channels and we will be sharing select entries on the University’s official platforms. Please do not use profanity or songs with explicit lyrics on your video.
- If you are creating your video on TikTok/Instagram but have your account set to private, please download and submit the video file via email to CoCScholarship@leicester.ac.uk.
- Although you can create and share as many videos as you like (please tag us @uniofleicester, #CitizensOfChange), we will only accept one formal entry via the application form per applicant – so make sure you choose your favourite to submit.
Timelines and deadlines
The official submission period will open on 11 December 2023.
Awards are to be distributed according to the following timeline:
- Maximum of 20 awards for entries submitted between 11 December 2023 and 29 February 2024
- Maximum of 20 awards for entries submitted between 1 March 2024 and 26 March 2024
- Maximum of 20 awards for entries submitted between 27 March 2024 and 2 May 2024
- Maximum of 15 awards for entries submitted between 3 May 2024 and 6 June 2024
To be considered, entrants must have selected the University of Leicester as their firm choice by 6 June 2024.
The scholarship is for 2024 entry only. If you defer to 2025, you will need to view our range of scholarships available for 2025 entry later in the year once they are confirmed.
There will be official Citizens of Change Scholarship application scoring days on the following dates:
- Friday 1 March 2024
- Wednesday 27 March 2024
- Friday 3 May 2024
- Friday 7 June 2024
All successful candidates will be notified within two weeks of the end of the awarding window in which you submitted your video and must go on to register on their course by no later than 12 October 2024.
About the scholarship
The Citizens of Change Scholarship can be awarded to students in receipt of other University of Leicester or other external scholarships.
Successful applicants will need to have made Leicester their firm choice and have met the conditions of their offer (please see the below terms and conditions).
There are 25 x £15,000 and 50 x £7,500 (£5,000 and £2,500 per academic year for the first three years of study) and will be renewed automatically each year subject to satisfactory academic progress on the course.
In the event that this progress has not been achieved, the University reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship at the end of the relevant academic year. In the event that you transfer from the course, or suspend your period of study, the scholarship will discontinue.
Group entry Ts&Cs
Entrants can apply as individuals or as part of a group up to a maximum of five people.
One member of the group or more must be eligible (an offer holder) in order to submit an application.
Only those members of the group holding an offer are eligible for entrance into the process and consideration for the scholarship.
The University of Leicester reserves the right to make changes to these arrangements, or to withdraw aspects of the scheme or add new elements.