Hong Kong SAR

We welcome students from Hong Kong!

萊斯特大學-歡迎香港留學生flag of Hong Kong

Entry requirements


For information about the International Foundation Year, please see the International Study Centre website.

Undergraduate (Bachelors) degrees

  • If you are taking the Hong Kong Diploma in Secondary Education (HKDSE), you may be eligible for entry to the first year of a degree at Leicester if you achieve at least two Grade 4s and one Grade 5 in either three electives or two electives plus one core subject from Chinese Language, English Language or Mathematics (core and extended parts). There are specific entry requirements for some subjects, and some may not accept core Chinese. For degrees where Mathematics A-Level is an entry requirement, you need to offer at least one elective, together with both core and extended Mathematics. If you do not meet these requirements you will need to take a Foundation Year.
  • If you are studying UK (GCE) A-levels or the International Baccalaureate (IB) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelors degree. Please see our individual course pages for entry requirements.
  • If you are studying for an Associate Degree, you may be eligible for entry to the second year of a degree (depending on the subject that you wish to study), providing that you are taking appropriate subjects and obtain a GPA of at least 3.2/4.0. If you have a GPA of at least 3.0 you may be considered for first year entry to an appropriate degree at Leicester.
  • If you have already completed the first year of an undergraduate degree at a Hong Kong university, you may be considered for entry to the first year of a Bachelors degree if you have studied relevant subjects.

For more information about available degrees, please see the individual course pages.

Postgraduate (Masters) degrees

If you have been awarded a Bachelors degree you will be considered for entry to a Masters degree at Leicester. Since Hong Kong degrees are generally classified (First, 2:1, 2:2, Third) in the same way as UK degrees, the entry requirements are the same as for students graduating from UK universities. Entry requirements can be found on individual course pages.

For more information about available degrees, please see the individual course pages

PhDs and other research degrees

To apply for a PhD (or other postgraduate research qualification, such as MPhil, DClinPsy, DSocSci, EdD or MD) you must have a first or 2:1 honours undergraduate (Bachelors) degree from a recognised Hong Kong university, usually in a related subject area (depending on the subject that you wish to study) .

You must also be able to demonstrate practical knowledge of appropriate research methodologies. Research degrees are demanding and intensive: to succeed at this level you must be highly motivated, be able to work independently, and have an appropriate familiarity with the discipline and its associated research techniques/methodologies.

Where a Masters degree is required, this is indicated in the relevant description on our Postgraduate Research webpages, together with further information about requirement.

English language requirements

Please see details of our English language requirements.

Scholarships and funding opportunities

The University of Leicester offers a number of scholarships for new international students. You should also check in your own country whether scholarships are available for study overseas, from your government or other organisations.


Visits to your country

Date  Event  Location  Representative 
21-22 January 2017 (13:00-19:00)  Study UK Exhibition, Hong Kong 2017  Hall 3G Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre,1 Harbour Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong  Rebecca Evans

Agents and Representatives

The University of Leicester works with several agents and representatives in Hong Kong. For information about the agents with whom we work, please contact the International Office

Student Societies

Other sources of information