International graduate support
Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa
The Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa is open to non-European graduates to extend their stay in the UK after graduation to establish their business.
Applications are considered when the idea is genuine, credible, innovative with high growth potential and that the graduate possesses the necessary skills.
The University of Leicester can endorse a limited number of applicants per year, therefore the scheme is very competitive and you should carefully read the requirements and process prior to making an application.
Ensure you are eligible for the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Scheme by carefully reading the Eligibility Criteria. You should also read our guidance and agreement for applicants which outlines your obligations should you be accepted to the Scheme.
You should begin to prepare your application documents (see below) and book a business coaching appointment via MyCareers to discuss your idea prior to submitting your application.
To make an application to the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Scheme you will need to submit the following documents to email@example.com:
- Business Plan Outline
- Cash flow Forecast
- Up-to-date CV
- Cover letter (explaining why you are applying for a graduate entrepreneur visa and what makes you suitable)
- Signed Guidance and Agreement for Applicants
Whilst preparing your application, you may want to refer to our guidance on CVs and cover letters.
Subject to review of your application, we will invite you to a Tier 1 Business Selection Panel.
At this meeting you will be asked to give a short presentation on your idea to a panel of 2-3 assessors. This will be followed by an informal question and answer session.
Following your meeting the Panel will make one of the following recommendations:
- The applicant meets the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa Scheme Business Requirements Criteria and the University of Leicester agrees to provide a Letter of Endorsement to the applicant to accompany their Visa application
- The proposed business requires minor adjustments to be deemed viable and feasible. The Panel will agree a timetable for the applicant to submit supplementary information and/or attend a subsequent meeting with members of the panel prior to a final decision being made
- The applicant or proposed business proposal do not meet the Business Requirements Criteria and the application is rejected
If your business is accepted by the Panel, and you fully meet all of the Immigration Rules, you will be issued with a Letter of Endorsement from the University for you to submit with your visa application.
It is your responsibility to ensure you meet all of the Immigration Rules and that your visa application is submitted correctly to the UK Visas & Immigration Service (UKVI). For more information about making your visa application visit the Home Office website.
Successful applicants will be granted a 12 month visa by UK Visas & Immigration and will then participate in the business support programme at the University of Leicester. This will include monthly one to one coaching and regular training, networking events and opportunities.
You can read more about your next steps after your acceptance onto the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur Scheme) here.