Teacher mailing list privacy notice for teachers and advisers
The UK Student Recruitment and Outreach team is part of the University of Leicester. The University of Leicester is the Data Controller for your information.
This privacy notice explains how we use your personal information and your rights regarding that information.
The University of Leicester’s Data Protection Officer is:
- Parmjit Singh Gill, Data Protection Officer
- University Of Leicester, University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH
What information are you collecting?
The information stored and processed by the UK Student Recruitment and Outreach team for booking a Campus Visit, talk, workshop or event by signing up to the teacher and adviser newsletter may include any of the following:
- Identifying details (including your name/staff attending)
- Contact details (including your work address, your work email address, your work telephone numbers, School/college/employer)
- Communications sent to you by the UK Student Recruitment and Outreach team or received from you
- Activities or events your learners have taken part in (including campus visits, open days, summer schools, teacher and adviser conferences etc.)
The UK Student Recruitment and Outreach team may also look to enter into a data sharing agreement with your school or college but this will be reflected in a separate document to this privacy notice.
Why are you collecting my data?
If you are bringing a group of learners from your school/college/institution to the University, you will be asked to complete a booking form. This information allows us to comply with our Safeguarding Policy to keep you and your learners safe as well as maintain our booking records.
If you are signing up to receive our Teacher and Adviser newsletter, this allows us to ensure the newsletter is sent to you.
If you are booking to attend an event as a Teacher and/or Adviser, this will allow us to process your booking and send you event information.
How will you use this data?
We use the information we collect from you to enable us to:
- communicate key messages with you in relation to any booked events/activities so that you and the learners you bring to the University are safe in line with the University’s Safeguarding Policy;
- communicate relevant news and messages within the newsletter that you have signed up to receive;
- organise events/activities/programmes, including event/programme selection
- monitor and research activities including (but not limited to) evaluation of the impact of events/activities;
- produce statistics, including event application and participation numbers, and participant outcomes.
The UK Student Recruitment and Outreach team and third parties with whom we share data may publish anonymised or aggregated data based on personal information from event applicants and/or participants, including analysis and research utilising this data. No information that could identify you or your learners will be published.
What is the legal basis for processing the data?
The legal basis through which data will be processed is for the performance of a task in the public interest which is set out in the UK GDPR Article 6.1(e) and s8(c) of the Data Protection Act 2018.
The legal basis through which special category data will be processed is the explicit consent of the individual which is set out in the UK GDPR Article 9.2(a) and where the data subject has given explicit consent to the processing for one or more specific purposes.
If you are sharing my data with others, who are you sharing it with?
The UK Student Recruitment and Outreach team may share your data with carefully selected third party service providers to run event bookings, or to contact you by email, but we will always make sure they commit to comply with the law when handling your personal data on our behalf.
We also share data with suppliers or partner(s) with whom we collaborate to organise Future Students Office activities or research; these include:
- The Higher Education Access Tracker HEAT service who provide us with data storage.
- Any other third parties which you consent to.
The University of Leicester is a subscribing member of the HEAT Service and they are a data processor for the data we collect from you. Our Contract with HEAT includes details about the organisational and technical measures they have put in place to secure the data we share with them. All their services and Sub-processors are based in the UK.
We do not share your data outside of the EEA.
How long will you process my data for?
- Campus visits – we will retain your data until you either a) move role/institution or b) inform us you would like to be removed from our database
- Talk/workshop booking data – we will retain your data until you move role/institution or b) inform us you would like to be removed from our database
- Teacher and Adviser newsletter – we will retain your data until you decide to unsubscribe from receiving the newsletter
- Teacher and Advisers Events/Conference – we will retain your data until you move role/institution or b) inform us you would like to be removed from our database
What are my rights and how can I enforce them?
Under consent you have the following rights:
- right to access, if you wish to request copies of your personal data
- right to rectification, if you think the data we hold about you is incorrect
- right to restriction, if you believe we are over processing your data
- right to objection, if you believe that any of the data we hold is incorrect
- right to portability, should you want your information electronically transferred.
To enforce any of these rights, please contact the University DPO (email@example.com).
How do I complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office?
The Information Commissioner can be contacted on:
- Information Commissioners Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK95AF
- 0303 123 1113
- ICO website