Awards and accreditation
- We have been ranked as the 35th most sustainable university in the world and 9th in the UK according to UI GreenMetric.
- The University has won Times Higher Awards in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017 and 2018.
- Leicester has been awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education on three occasions - the highest form of national recognition open to a UK academic or vocational institution.
- In August 2015, HSBC announced for the second year running that the University of Leicester is the most affordable destination in Britain for both first and second-year students, according to their research.
- In 2013 our Students' Union was named HE Students' Union of the Year in the NUS Awards.
Athena SWAN Award
University of Leicester is committed to promoting equality for women in academia. In 2006, we signed up to the Athena SWAN charter for women in science. In 2008 we were awarded with a bronze Athena SWAN award and this was renewed in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Health Sciences achieved a University first by being granted a Silver award in 2013.
Athena SWAN (Scientific Women's Academic Network), is a UK programme that celebrates recognition and commitment to advancing women’s careers in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine in higher education and research.
Stonewall Diversity Champion
We are proud to be recognised as a top 100 employer in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index, which showcases the most inclusive UK workplaces for lesbian, gay, bi and trans staff.
We have been a Stonewall Diversity Champion since 2013. Our commitment to working closely with our staff and student community to drive cultural change has seen the University ranked at number 72 in the 2019 list (PDF, 939kb) which exceeds our ambition to become a Top 100 Employer by 2020.
Coeliac UK audited the University's kitchens and confirmed that, as a result, it had decided to award its gluten-free accreditation to Leicester, making it the first UK university to receive this accolade.