New University Ranking
A ranking of world universities has placed Leicester in the UK top 20 and 226th in the world.
The 2017 CWUR World University Ranking is the largest academic ranking of global universities. This year, 27,770 degree-granting institutions of higher education worldwide were evaluated, among which the top 1000 research-intensive institutions received rankings.
The rankings measure the quality of education and training of students as well as the prestige of the faculty members and the quality of their research without relying on surveys and university data submissions.
Of particular note, University of Leicester ranks as follows:
National Rank: 19
Quality of Education Rank: 383+
Alumni Employment Rank: 616+
Quality of Faculty Rank: 240+
Publications Rank: 260
Influence Rank: 136
Citations Rank: 183
Broad Impact Rank: 159
Patents Rank: 347
Overall Score: 45.25
CWUR uses eight objective and robust indicators to rank the world's top 1000 universities:
1) Quality of Education, measured by the number of a university's alumni who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals relative to the university's size [25%]
2) Alumni Employment, measured by the number of a university's alumni who have held CEO positions at the world's top companies relative to the university's size [25%]
3) Quality of Faculty, measured by the number of academics who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals [25%]
4) Publications, measured by the number of research papers appearing in reputable journals [5%]
5) Influence, measured by the number of research papers appearing in highly-influential journals [5%]
6) Citations, measured by the number of highly-cited research papers [5%]
7) Broad Impact, measured by the university's h-index [5%]
8) Patents, measured by the number of international patent filings [5%]