The University of Leicester Sports Scholarship programme each year offers undergraduate and postgraduate high-performing students athletes from a range of sports the opportunity to apply for one of our sports scholarships.
The scholarship allows student athletes to continue their sporting lives alongside their academic studies whilst accessing a number of support services that look to assist a student athlete reach their potential.
- University of Leicester annual sports facility gold membership
- Limited physiotherapy support is offered to each scholar (Delivered at Sports Medicine Clinic, Leicester)
- Individualised physical conditioning programme
- Athlete life skills coaching programme
- Provision of scholar’s kit
- Quality coaching within the Team Leicester environment
- Financial contribution on agreed items (e.g. travel expenses, equipment, specialist coaching, nutritional advice):
- Up to £5,000 for exceptional 'Tier 1' scholars
- Up to £500 for 'Tier 2' scholars
- Be currently enrolled on an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at the University of Leicester, or in the process of applying to become a University of Leicester student for the 2021/22 academic year.
- Be able to demonstrate a commitment to striving for personal excellence
- Achieved one of the following three tiers:
- Tier 1 scholars who are selected to represent their respective NGBs at International competitions (Senior NGB International selection will take precedence)
- Tier 2 scholars: Junior International and National representation
- Tier 3 scholars: Regional representation
How to apply
Applications for 2021/22 will open on Tuesday 1 June 2021 and close at midnight on Sunday 30 August 2021.
If you wish to apply for a 2021/22 Sport Scholarship, please fully complete and electronically return the application form (including coach’s reference) to Steve Bayley (Application forms will be uploaded and accessible for the 1 June 2021)
All applications are dealt with by the sports scholarship panel, so please make sure that you include as much relevant information as you can.
If you have any questions regarding our sports scholarship programme, please contact, Steve Bayley.
Advice for applicants
When applying for a sport scholarship at the University of Leicester, please be aware of the following:
- Meeting the tier criteria does not guarantee you will receive a scholarship. See our Scholarship Terms and Conditions located within the application form for more information.
- A sport scholarship is valid for one academic year only. Sports scholars must reapply each academic year.
- If you are unsuccessful in your application the first time around you can apply again in your succeeding academic years.