- 23rd in the UK (and 170th in the world) in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings
- 27th-34th in the UK (and 301st-400th in the world) in the Shanghai Ranking
- 31st in the UK (and 242nd in the world) in the QS World University Rankings
- 37th in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 (paywall protected)
- 38th in the Complete University Guide 2021
- 77th in the Guardian University Guide 2021
- Awarded Silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
- 76th in the Reuters Top 100 Most Innovative Universities in Europe
Leicester is ranked in the top 25 universities in the Times Higher Education REF Research Power rankings. The Power ranking takes into account both the quality of research and the number of research-active staff who made REF returns. Research power is important because it gives a strong indication of a combination of world-class research, international impact, critical mass and sustainability.
75% of our research was judged to be internationally excellent with wide-ranging impacts on society, health culture,and the environment. That Leicester also entered a substantial proportion of academics (84%) to the REF demonstrates that our academics are continuing to develop and build upon our world-leading research.
The University is ranked 21st out of 766 universities in the world, in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Ranking, placing it in the top 3%.
And it is first in the world for goal 15, life on land, due to its academic excellence and commitment to conserving the biodiversity of the local land and buildings as part of its Biodiversity Action Plan.