Medicine and allied health profession students
There a few things you need to do before you start, as a medicine or allied health professional student.
Health screening questionnaire
You will need to complete a health screening questionnaire.
We are required to use the government's Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) - find out more about what you need to do.
During your induction, we will give you a brand new 10.2 inch iPad. Its specification is:
- 2019 model
Medical students only
Induction events for all medical students will run from Monday 21 September to Friday 2 October.
If you are an international or EU student, you may also be invited to attend some early induction activities on Friday 18 September.
We're working hard to create an induction programme that will help you to get the most out of your first two weeks at Medical School. We will provide further information as soon as we can. In the meantime, you are welcome to contact us by email if you have any questions. We are eager to hear from you and answer any questions you may have but are restricted by home-working at the moment. If you would like to speak with a member of staff, just send us an email and we can try to arrange a suitable time to talk.
Key dates for medical students
- Induction: Monday 21 September - Friday 25 September
- Autumn term: Monday 28 September - Friday 18 December
- End of semester assessment (ESA1): Week commencing Monday 11 January
- Year 1 clinical assessment (OSCE): formative only, week commencing Monday 15 March
- Spring term: Monday 11 January - Wednesday 31 March
- Summer term: Monday 3 May - Friday 11 June (teaching starts on Tuesday 4 May as Monday 3 May is a bank holiday)
- End of semester assessment (ESA2): Week commencing Monday 10 May
- Year 1 integrated assessment (IUA): Week commencing Monday 10 May
- Year 1 resit exams: week commencing Monday 2 August
All dates are subject to change and will be on Blackboard once confirmed.
Please don’t book holidays during term time or the summer resit exam period.
Joining the Medical Protection Society and/or Medical Defence Union
It is important as a medical student that you have appropriate legal protection whilst at university which will also cover you on your NHS placements.
Once your membership is confirmed you will need to provide us with a copy of your certificate by no later than Monday 5 October. Please email your certificate to email@example.com.
The choice is entirely yours and you can join both if you wish to do so. They are free to join as you are a medical student.