There a few things you need to do before you start, as a medicine student.
Health screening questionnaire
You will need to complete a health screening questionnaire.
We are required to use the government's Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). You will be sent information on how to apply for a DBS certificate prior to arriving at the University.
During your induction, we will give you a brand new 10.2 inch iPad. Its specification is:
- iPad 9th Gen
- 10.2 inch display
- Space Grey
The exact model provided will be subject to availability. We would recommend purchasing any accessories, such as a case and screen protector once you are in possession of your iPad.
Don’t forget you’ll need to get it insured. Purchase affordable student and iPad insurance from Endsleigh.
Induction and welcome events for all medical students will run from Monday 19 September to Friday 30 September.
If you are an international or EU student, you will also be invited to attend some early induction activities on Friday 16 September.
We're working hard to create an induction programme that will help you to get the most out of your first two weeks at Medical School. We will provide further information as soon as we can. In the meantime, you are welcome to contact us by email (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Key dates for medical students
- Induction: Monday 19 September 2022 - Friday 30 September 2022
- Autumn term: Monday 26 September 2022 - Friday 16 December 2022
- Year 1 written paper: Formative only, week commencing Monday 12 December 2022
- Spring term: Monday 9 January 2023 - Friday 31 March 2023
- Year 1 clinical assessment (OSCE): Formative only, week commencing Monday 20 March 2023
- Summer term: Monday 1 May 2023 - Friday 9 June 2023 (teaching starts on Tuesday 2 May as Monday 1 May is a bank holiday)
- End of year assessment (EOY1): Week commencing Monday 1 May 2023
- Year 1 integrated understanding assessment (IUA): Week commencing Monday 8 May 2023
- Year 1 resit exams: Week commencing Monday 31 July 2023
All dates are subject to change and will be on Blackboard once confirmed.
Please don’t book holidays during term time or the summer resit exam period.
Joining the Medical Protection Society and/or Medical Defence Union
It is important as a medical student that you have appropriate legal protection whilst at university which will also cover you on your NHS placements.
This is a mandatory requirement for all new students to join one of the two medico-legal organisations in England: the Medical Protection Society or the Medical Defence Union.
Once your membership is confirmed you will need to provide us with a copy of your certificate by no later than Friday 30 September. Please email your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The choice is entirely yours and you can join both if you wish to do so. They are free to join as you are a medical student.