Open a UK bank account

There are a number of banks near to campus, including Santander in the Students’ Union. Your current bank may have a relationship with a UK bank and can help with setting up an account. We advise you to open a bank account which gives you a monthly paper statement. It is important to keep all your bank statements while you are in the UK and make sure you tell your bank if you change address.

Opening a bank account provides a safe place to keep your money, financial evidence for your visa application, and allows a business to pay you your salary, if you get a part-time job.

Bank letters

We will provide you with letters confirming you are a registered student of the University. This is sometimes required by landlords for private rental agreement and by UK banks to open a bank account. You'll be able to request a bank letter after you have completed the visa checkpoint.

Please email or visit us in the Student Services Centre in the Charles Wilson Building to request a registration and/or a bank letter.

To open a bank account you need:

  • Your passport/photo ID card
  • A bank letter from the University confirming your registration, your address in the UK and your overseas address (see above).
  • It may take up to five weeks to open an account, so we recommend you have £1,000, separate from tuition and accommodation fees, in travellers’ cheques or a credit card.

UK banks

Advice on banking in the UK

UK Council for International Student Affairs