Identity check/Visa checkpoint

To finish your registration you need to attend either an ID check (UK/EEA/Swiss students) or a visa checkpoint (international students) when you arrive.

If you are a UK, EEA or Swiss citizen, you will need to show your passport, national identity card, or full UK birth certificate. If you have other immigration permission to be in the UK you will need to provide documentation to evidence this. Once this is done, you are officially a University of Leicester student and will receive your student ID card so you can start accessing the library, getting your student finance and attending lectures.

Documents to bring with you

Make sure to bring the documents you need to University with you:

  • UK students: passport or full UK birth certificate
  • EEA or Swiss students: passport or national identity card
  • International students: passport and visa

Where to go

  • If you are a UK/EEA/Swiss student living in University-managed accommodation, your identity check will take place in your hall when you arrive.
  • If you an international student your visa checkpoint will take place in the Student Services Centre in the Charles Wilson Building.


Registration deadlines vary from course to course – so check when you need to register by. But don't leave it till the deadline - we recommend that you register as soon as you can after you arrive.