Prepare to study
About to start studying with us? Prepare to study provides practical advice and tips on what to expect at university and how to get the most out of your studies.
Improve your study and research skills
Student Learning Development provides a range of services to develop your study and research skills. There is a wide range of free study guides on writing, study, presentation and numeracy skills. You can also learn how to improve your study skills through our AccessAbility Centre.
Make the most of the Library
Find out how the Library can support you in your studies.
- Reference and cite sources within academic work.
- Organise your references using bibliographic software.
- Find information for assignments.
- Make a start with your dissertation.
Develop your IT skills
Visit IT for Students for more about available IT help.
- Use IT on campus and off-campus.
- Get started with Blackboard.
- Access help and training including online training and one-to-one IT help.
Write and present your ideas
Learn how to study, write and revise more effectively with Student Learning Development.
- Have a look at online study resources.
- Book an individual consultation.
- Attend an academic skills workshop.
- Get involved in a staff-student partnership.
Improve your English Language
See what support is available to you from the English Language Teaching Unit
- Join an academic English class.
- Arrange for a tutorial.
- Prepare for Cambridge exams.
- Refer to online self-study resources.
Get advice about your course
Call in to the Advice Service in the Students' Union if you have any course concerns.
- Talk to someone about your course.
- Share any exam or coursework worries in a supportive setting.
- Discuss your final grades.
- Put together an academic appeal.
Manage your student information
Understand your student record and University regulations with Student and Academic Services.
- Update your student record.
- Familiarise yourself with University Regulations for students.
- View codes of academic practice.
- Find out about exams and assessments.
Sharpen your mathematics and statistics skills
Visit the Mathematics Help Centre and get one-to-one help with maths whatever your subject.
- Attend a drop-in session to get further help.
- Access support with revision and exam preparation.
- Discuss any of your maths problems.
- Practice and improve with our online resources and question banks.
Links to further learning opportunities and services
The AccessAbility Centre offers a range of services to all students who have a disability or a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia.
With Languages at Leicester you can learn one of more than a dozen languages at up to six different levels allowing you to study either a new language, or improve a language which you have already studied.