Students on joint degrees

Studying more than one subject at the University

As a student at the University of Leicester, you will be on one of our pathways, taking either one subject or two subjects in combination as a joint degree.

By choosing to study two subjects, you will gain an outstanding depth and breadth of knowledge. Your time will roughly be split equally between the two subjects and what you learn in one subject complements and enhances what you learn in the other.

Academic support for your studies

All students will have a Personal Tutor who is there to provide you with personal support, advice and guidance who will usually be in the department teaching the first subject for your Joint degree. Your Personal Tutor should be the first point of contact for anything related to your studies and you should meet with them regularly. However, if you have specific questions relating to modules taken in your other department, you might find it helpful to contact a tutor on that module.

Most departments will also have a nominated academic advisor for students who are doing joint degrees: you should ask in either department or check your handbooks for more information. You can also contact the course administration staff in your school/departmental offices.

Referencing – departmental differences

When you are writing an essay, report, dissertation or any other form of academic writing, your own thoughts and ideas inevitably build on those of other writers, researchers or teachers. It is essential that you acknowledge the sources (such as books and journal articles) on which you have drawn by including references to, and full details of, them in your work. Different subjects use different styles for referencing sources. You may, therefore, find that both of your subjects use different referencing styles, and it is important that you use the correct ones for each subject. Visit the library website for information on the referencing styles recommended for use by your academic departments.

Case studies

We have a number of students who have completed or are currently completing joint subject degrees with us. You can read about their experiences here.

Student-Staff Committees

The University in partnership with the Students’ Union aims to gather your views in order to improve your student experience. For this student volunteers, democratically elected from the student body as Academic Representatives, speak on your behalf to the University.

If you would like to express or share your views about, course/degree content, methods of teaching and assessment, workloads, reading lists, resources, teaching space, course delivery methods and feedback, you can contact the Course Rep for either of your subjects.

If you would like to find out more about Academic Representation or wish to become a Course Rep yourself, please feel free to contact or visit the Students' Union webpages.