Ukraine Conflict Sanctuary Scholarships
Applications for the Ukraine Conflict Sanctuary Scholarship 2023/24 academic year have now closed. Results of the scholarship award selection have been communicated to the applicants.
These scholarships will be available in the academic year 2023/24 for students from Ukraine, Russia and Belarus who are displaced and/or at risk of persecution, violence or conflict. These scholarships are open for study at all levels (Bachelors, Masters, PhD), with some scholarships prioritised for STEM subjects, in particular Mathematics and Physics.
The Scholarships will be awarded to applicants wishing to begin their studies at the University of Leicester in September 2023 who can demonstrate that they have the ability to succeed academically, but face barriers to that success.
The awards are for study on any course (except exclusions listed below) at the following levels:
- Taught Masters
A number of scholarships will be prioritised for STEM subjects, in particular for Mathematics and Physics.
Awards include a tuition fee waiver for duration of your course, plus an annual stipend of up to £9,706 per year depending on your circumstances.
- Candidates must hold an offer of a place to study full-time at the University of Leicester beginning in September 2023.
- Candidates must be normally domiciled in Ukraine, Russia or Belarus and be displaced and/or at risk of persecution, violence or conflict.
- Candidates must have one of the following immigration statuses:
- leave to enter or leave to remain granted under Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme
- leave to enter or leave to remain granted under Ukraine Family Scheme
- leave to remain granted under Ukraine Extension Scheme
- leave to remain on the grounds of 'humanitarian protection'
- refugee status
- asylum seeker status/leave to remain as the results of an asylum application or human rights application
- International student visa
- Candidates must complete the application process (as below) to be considered for the scholarship.
- Candidates must apply for the scholarship by the deadline of 11.59pm on 17 May 2023.
- Successful candidates will be notified in June 2023.
Caveats and exclusions
- The scholarship is for September 2023 entry only: the award cannot be deferred to a different intake.
- The scholarship is for Year 1 entry of a degree course at the University of Leicester.
- The scholarship cannot be used for any NHS-funded courses (e.g. Medicine MBChB).
- The scholarship cannot be used for Distance Learning, Certificate or Diploma courses.
- The scholarship cannot be used for pre-university Foundation programmes, Summer Schools, Study Abroad or Exchange programmes.
- The scholarship can only be used for full-time study.