Get to know your subject

Get a feel for life as a Computer Science student at the University of Leicester.

  1. Explore our online resources
  2. Join our live chat
  3. Ask us anything
Accept your offer

Subject talk

Taster lecture


At the University of Leicester we support you and your career aspirations from the moment you arrive until after you graduate. Find out about our Career Development Service, our in-house employment agency, our Festival of Careers and other ways that we boost your employability.

Careers and Employability

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to know programming before I start?

No, we teach programming from a beginner’s viewpoint, but you may have an easier start if you already know some programming. For example, there are some good Python and Java tutorials on that you could look at.

Which programming languages do you teach?

Mainly Python and Java. All students learn web and database related languages (php, SQL, javascript, html, xml). Haskell is an option in the second year and C++ is an option in the third year. Your third year project can also be done in other languages.

Do you have a Year in Industry?

Yes, a Year in Industry is available on all these courses and is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable experience working (and getting paid!). You will be responsible for finding your own placement but will have full support from the School and the University's Career Development Service.

Do you assess by coursework or exams?

We use both. Many modules have a balance of 40% coursework and 60% exam. Practical modules and projects are 100% coursework.

What is a typical contact time per week?

About 20 hours per week normally. When you're working on a group or individual project, this will drop to about 10-12 hours per week.

Can I study abroad?

Many of our courses feature the opportunity to study abroad.

There are many benefits of spending time studying abroad during your course - International experiences can enhance your academic and personal skills and your employability.

Most students go for one academic year, between the second and third years of their course. However, some Schools offer one-semester options. You can also consider going on an overseas summer school, whether as a taster for a full year, or simply as a shorter alternative. And don’t worry if you don’t currently speak any other languages - we have many partner universities in other English-speaking countries, and most of our partner universities teach at least some of their classes in English.

We have exchange partner universities on every continent (except Antarctica!). Where you can go depends on your course and this list can vary from year to year.