Scholarships for different types of students

School leavers

If you are leaving school or college after doing your A-levels (or equivalent) then you are potentially eligible for the University of Leicester Scholarship, as well as our Sport Scholarships and Music Scholarships.

NB. The details of our scholarships can change from year to year. If you defer your entry to the University or take a gap year, the scholarship offer available to you will be based on when you start at Leicester, not when you apply.

Mature students

If you will be 21 or over when you start your course, you are classed as a mature student. You will pay the same fee as other students and can receive all the same support. Any support which is means-tested will be based on your own income (and that of your partner, if you have one) rather than your parents' income.

Care leavers

If you have been living in Local Authority care you may qualify for the University of Leicester Care Leavers’ Bursary. This pays £2,000 for each year of undergraduate study.

Disabled students

If you have a disability, you may be entitled to claim Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) while studying. Disabilities covered include long-term illnesses, mental-health conditions and specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia.

Students with children

As a full-time student with dependent children, you may be able to get extra financial help from the Government. A Childcare Grant is available to help with childcare costs, and the Parents' Learning Allowance with your learning costs. You may also be able to claim Child Tax Credit.

Students with adult dependants

If there is an adult who depends on you financially, you may be entitled to extra help through the Government's Adult Dependants’ Grant.