Cowrie Foundation Scholarships
The University of Leicester and the Cowrie Scholarship Foundation (CSF) will offer a scholarship to support Black African and Caribbean heritage applicants from socio-economically challenged backgrounds. Applicants must be ordinarily resident in the UK and commencing a full time undergraduate degree in September 2021.
The Cowrie Scholarship Foundation wants to fund 100 Black British students through UK universities in the next decade.
The scholarship will cover your tuition fee. The Cowrie Scholarship Foundation will make a contribution of £8,000 per year towards your living costs.
Applicants must satisfy the following to be considered for this scholarship:
- Have one of the following categories of ethnicity:
Black African; Black Caribbean; Black Other; Mixed – White and Black Caribbean; Mixed – White and Black African; or Other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other)
- Hold an offer of admission to a 3-year undergraduate full time degree at the University of Leicester, commencing study in September 2021.
- Be studying your first degree (not completed or started a degree previously)
- Have been assessed for fee status as a 'Home' student.
- Made an application to Student Finance England for a tuition fee and maintenance loan. Please ensure you have given consent to share the information with the University for academic year 2021/2, as this information will be used to determine eligibility.
Priority will be given to applicants whose verified household income is assessed by SFE as £25,000 or less.
Your personal statement of between 600 and 900 words explaining:
- Why the scholarship would be beneficial to your studies
- How it would help you to achieve your academic goals
- How your education would be of future benefit to your community and/or society
- What achievements, academically and personally, are you most proud of? This could include overcoming a challenging personal circumstance. There is no right or wrong answer. We are keen to hear your personal story.
How to apply
Apply using the online form.
The application process for the scholarship will close on 30 June 2021.
Please check your eligibility before making an application. Awards may be withdrawn if we later become aware successful scholars have not met eligibility criteria or to have provided false information.
All applicants will receive notification by the first week of September 2021