The University of Leicester was founded nearly 100 years ago by members of the local community, to honour loved ones who served, and in many cases died, in World War I. To preserve that spirit of philanthropy and community service during our forthcoming centenary commemorations, the University is awarding 100 Centenary Scholarships to undergraduate students beginning study in September 2018.
The scholarships recognise students who have overcome adversity or made sacrifices in pursuit of their goals, ideally in service to something greater than themselves.
Each Centenary Scholar will be awarded a one-off £1,000 cash scholarship to help them with their studies and living expenses.
How the scholarship works
As well as the cash award, Centenary Scholars will receive invitations to special events and activities during the year. During the 2018-19 academic year, this will include an opportunity to take part in the dedication of Centenary Square on 11 November 2018 to commemorate Armistice Day 1918.
How to apply
- Simply write up to 250 words explaining how you exemplify the founding spirit of the University.
- To apply, please complete the application form.
- The closing date for entries is 30 September 2018.
- Winners will be notified during October 2018, and their awards will be paid in February 2019.
- You must be a new student starting a full time undergraduate campus-based course in September 2018. Please do not apply for this scholarship until you have received your University of Leicester Number.
- You must agree to attend an induction event at which you will asked to sign up to participate in at least one Centenary Scholar event or activity.
- You must demonstrate how you have made sacrifices or overcome adversity to achieve your goal. This could range from surviving conflict in your home country, to caring for a family member, to putting in a huge effort to achieve excellence in academic, artistic, sporting or other pursuits.
- If your application is successful, we will ask for evidence before confirming your award.
- Acceptance of a Centenary Scholarship does not affect eligibility for any other scholarship or financial aid schemes.
Priority consideration will be given to students who meet at least one of the additional priority criteria described on the application form.