Pre-16 Summer Schools
After a turbulent two years we are delighted that our pre-16 summer schools are back! Taking place on Sunday 24 July – Tuesday 26 July 2022, we are offering students in Year 10 and 11 the opportunity to take part in our residential summer school programme.
What does a summer school involve?
Summer schools are a fantastic opportunity for young people to visit a university campus and halls of residence and experience what it is like to study at a university. It will be a packed three-day schedule filled with various activities to showcase university, including:
- Spending two nights in University of Leicester halls of residence
- Taking part in taster lectures and seminars
- Getting involved in social and leisure activities
Importantly, our summer schools are free for students to attend. This includes the cost of travel to/from the University of Leicester, your accommodation, food and social activities.
What subjects will we cover?
This year we have two strands to our summer school. You will be able to select one of these two strands to take part in. Which one you pick will determine which taster lectures and seminars you attend. The social and leisure activities will involve students across both strands. The strands are:
- Medicine and Healthcare: Discover what it is like to study and work as a NHS professional. You will get the opportunity to take part in interactive workshops and meet current medical students.
- English and Film Studies: Explore the overlap of English, Film Studies and media/tech. Not only will you take part in a range of exciting activities and programmes focusing on English and Film Studies, but you will also be provided with fantastic opportunities to work with current university students and staff to explore studying the arts at higher education. Students on this summer school will also get the opportunity to put together their own film!
Who is the summer school for?
We host our summer school to give young people in Years 10 and 11, from state schools only, the opportunity to fully engage in life as a university student. We have limited spaces on our summer school so will be prioritising spaces from students who meet one or more of the following indicators:
- Students who are eligible for free school meals and/or discretionary payments from the school or college
- Students who live in a postcode where there are low rates of progression to HE
- Students with experience of the care system
- Students who are young carers
- Students whose parent/carer did not go to university
- Students who are estranged from their parents
- Students from a priority engagement group, including asylum seekers or refugees, gypsy roma and traveller communities, or children of military families
- Students who have a disability or a long-term mental health condition and are in receipt of the PIP
The summer school is only open to students. We are not inviting teachers, parents or carers to accompany students. This means that students will get independence and get to fully immerse yourself in university life. However, University of Leicester staff will be present 24/7 in case of any problems.
How can students apply?Applications for the Summer School closed on the 11 April 2022. We are unable to accept any late applications.
All applicants have been emailed whether they have been successful in gaining a place on the summer school. If you have not received this, please check your junk/spam mailbox and/or email email@example.com.
Undecided on whether to take part?
Each year we have fantastic feedback from the students who decide to get involved with summer school. Here are some examples:
If you have any questions about our summer school, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.