- Make sure we offer PhD supervision in the area in which you want to work. Applicants are encouraged to contact potential supervisors prior to submitting an application.
- Download and save the Research Proposal Form and complete all sections ensuring it tells us what you want to research, how you intend to do it, and why it is worth doing.
You might be interested in signing up for our 5 week online course 'Discovering Your PhD Potential: Writing a Research Proposal. The course is offered through FutureLearn where you can register your interest for the next available course.
- Prepare your supporting documents: with your application, with your application you need to include proof that you meet the academic entry requirements and the English language entry requirements:
- Include all relevant certificates/diplomas and transcripts
- International applicants must provide official copies of their entire course transcripts, including explanations of the mark schemes used and, where possible, an indication of their class ranking/position in class
- Supporting documents not in English must be provided with a certified English translation
- In addition to uploading the above documents please enter contact details for two academic (not personal) referees who can comment on your suitability for the research degree programme or upload letters of reference if already available
- Personal Statement
- Submit your online application using the Apply button at the bottom of this page. Upload your supporting documents and your completed Research Proposal Form.
When to apply
We have an intake in January, May, July and September each year.
You should try to submit your application as far in advance of your preferred start date as possible. If you are an international applicant and require a visa to study in the UK you should submit your application at least three-to-four months before the proposed start date.
After you have submitted your application, it will take a minimum of six weeks for you to receive a decision about your application.
Tuition fees vary according to your fee status (whether you live in the UK, EU, or international) and the mode of study (full-time or part-time).
*UK fees will rise each year of study in line with UKRI rates.
- Starting in 2020/21 academic year: £4,407 per year
- Starting in 2021/22 academic year: £4,500 per year
- Starting in 2020/21 academic year: £2,203.50 per yer
- Starting in 2021/22 academic year: £2,250 per year
- Starting in 2020/21 academic year: £15,520 per year
- Starting in 2021/22 academic year: £15,520 per year
Please note that owing to UK visa restrictions, part-time campus based registration is not normally available to international applicants.
The normal duration of a PhD programme is three years (full-time). PhD students may use the fourth year as a 'writing-up' year for which a reduced fee is payable if active research has been completed - currently £100. (Maximum registration permitted is 4 years full-time or 7 years part-time).
UK/EU Distance learning
- Starting in 2020/21 academic year: £20,825 (Total course fee)
- Starting in 2021/22 academic year: £20,825 (Total course fee)
International Distance learning
- Starting in 2020/21 academic year: £24,930 (Total course fee)
- Starting in 2021/22 academic year: £24,930 (Total course fee)
If you are living outside of the UK/EU during your studies you will pay the International fee. For clarification please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paying for distance learning
If you are living outside of the UK/EU during your studies you will pay the International fee. For clarification, please contact email@example.com.
The fees quoted are the total fee for the PhD distance learning programme and can be paid by the following options:
- Total course fee paid in full before first registration
- Total course fee split into four annual payments with first annual payment made in full before first registration
- Total course fee split into 12 equal instalments paid spread over years 1-4 of the study. The first instalment to be paid before first registration
- If study extends beyond the 4th year no further fees are required.
A payment schedule will be sent with the offer letter.
For a list of our available scholarships/studentships, please visit our funded opportunities pages.