Genomic Epidemiology and Public Health Genomics PhD Programme (Wellcome Trust DTP)
This 4-year PhD programme for the University of Leicester, with support from the Wellcome Trust, welcomed its first students in autumn 2020. The programme can support up to eight students per year over five intakes.
Via four themes, the programme will train professionals to address research needs to better understand the health of the population and the role of genetic factors in determining health and disease. Opportunities for skills development will be principally in priority areas of statistics, data science, computer programming, epidemiology, genomics and social science, medical law and ethics, and public health.
There are a number of projects on offer each year, to which students can apply. Each project is linked to at least one of the four themes.
- Theme 1: Genomics for Drug Development and Pharmacogenetics
- Theme 2: Genomics for Precision Medicine in Underserved Populations
- Theme 3: Genetically Informed Causal Inference and Risk Prediction
- Theme 4: Ethical, Legal and Social Implications of Genomics and Genomic Epidemiology Studies
There will be unique opportunities to undertake research placements with our industry partners, and to work with partners in low and middle income countries. This is a flexible trainee centred programme with a wide range of skills development, both subject specific and career enhancing.
There are two routes available on this programme:
- 4-year PhD (which can also be offered part-time)
- 1-year MSc followed by a 4-year PhD
To view full details of the Programme:
See the WTDTP prospectus for further details (PDF, 4 MB)
- Learn more about the Programme’s themes and routes
- Find out about the training and placement opportunities, as well as the post-PhD transition period
- View full details of the funding available and how many places we offer per intake
- Meet the team behind the Programme and read case studies from current students on the Programme and colleagues within the field
- Find out how to apply
- Discover answers to frequently asked questions
During each open recruitment round, projects will be advertised in the grey box below – please click on each project for more information.