The University of Leicester is proud to support students from Afghanistan that have relocated to the UK under the Governments Afghan Citizens Relocation Scheme (ACRS).
We believe that higher education should be accessible to all based on merit alone, and are pleased to offer up to two Afghan Sanctuary Scholarships to help reduce the barriers to participation in higher education faced by those that have relocated to the UK.
Each Afghan Sanctuary Scholarship consists of a tuition fee waiver, and a support package to be confirmed following assessment with our Welfare Service.
The Scholarships will be awarded to up to two applicants wishing to begin their studies at the University of Leicester in September 2022 who can demonstrate that they have the ability to succeed academically, but face barriers to that success.
The number of awards available are:
- 2 x Undergraduate or Taught Masters awards
- Candidates must hold an offer of a place to study full-time at the University of Leicester beginning in September 2022.
- Candidates must be unable to access mainstream funding in the UK, e.g. Student Finance.
- Candidates must be in the UK under the UK Government Afghan Citizens Relocation Scheme (ACRS).
- Candidates must complete the application process (see below) to be considered for the scholarship.
- Candidates must apply for the scholarship by the deadline of 15 June 2022.
- Successful candidates will be notified during August 2022.
Caveats and exclusions
- The scholarship is for September 2022 entry only: the award cannot be deferred to a different intake.
- The scholarship is for Year 1 entry of a degree course at the University of Leicester.
- The scholarship cannot be used for any NHS-funded courses (e.g. Medicine MBChB).
- The scholarship cannot be used for Distance Learning, Certificate or Diploma courses.
- The scholarship can only be used for full-time study.
How to apply