We’re passionate about sport in Leicester. In 2016, ESPN ranked Leicester number one in their list of the UK's Greatest Sporting Cities.
All sports fans will be aware of the remarkable story of Leicester City FC and their phenomenal Premier League title victory in 2016 overcoming odds of 5,000/1 and making headlines all over the world.
The formidable Leicester Tigers have an illustrious history dating back to 1880 - come along to Welford Road (a 5 minute walk from campus) and hear the Tigers roar!
Leicester is also home to the oldest basketball club in Britain - Leicester Riders. In January 2016 the Riders moved to a new home in the 3,000-capacity Morningside Arena and were crowned League Champions. The Riders have also brought home the trophies - winning 4 BBL Championships, 2 BBL Cups, 3 BBL Trophy and 1 WBBL Trophy!
There’s also top flight cricket, hockey, speedway and racing – and you can even watch elite cyclists in the Leicester Castle Classic each August.
While at Leicester you can take the opportunity to watch top-flight sport or just take time out to enjoy the city's parks and open spaces.
Like our city, we take sport seriously. Sport is a significant part of university life, and if you feel inspired to get involved, you can take advantage of our excellent sports facilities available on campus and in the Oadby Student Village
Leicester sporting roll of honour
- Leicester City FC: Premier League Champions 2016
- Leicester Tigers RFC: Premiership Champions 2001, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013
- Leicester Riders: British Basketball League Champions 2001, 2013, 2017, 2018
- Mark Selby: World Snooker Champion 2014, 2016, 2017
- Leicestershire County Cricket Club: T20 Cup Winners 2004, 2006, 2011
- Leicester Hockey Club: Women’s England Hockey League Winners 1994, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012