College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities Masters Excellence Scholarships
The Masters Excellence Studentships are available to new UK/EU applicants registering for a full- or part-time, campus-based Masters degree in our College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities starting in the 2017-18 academic year. Four nine-month Masters Excellence studentships are available, each providing a full fee waiver. The deadline for applications is 9 June 2017.
These studentships are intended to support applicants with excellent undergraduate records and who have the capacity to complete a Masters degree at Distinction level.
If successful, you will be expected to apply for a PhD at the University of Leicester after completing your Masters. You will also be expected to apply for a three-year (full-time) or five-year (part-time) PhD studentship from the Midlands3Cities Doctoral Training Partnership (supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council). You will receive mentoring and support in developing your project proposal and writing your applications for both the PhD itself and the PhD studentship.
- A good second class undergraduate degree or an equivalent overseas qualification*
- Standard English language requirements
- Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of the overall strength of the application - including consideration of previous academic attainment, relevant experience, references, and the personal statement
- Available to new UK/EU applicants only
- Available for full- or part-time campus based study (subject to availability)
- You must be able to start in the 2017-18 academic year
* or show evidence of achieving this before the start of the Masters degree
Informal enquiries are welcome - please contact Dr Anna Claydon:
- +44 (0)116 252 2089
1. Apply for a course within the College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities.
2. Draft a brief personal statement (1,000 words maximum) that:
- tells us why you wish to study your chosen course, how your previous academic and/or professional experience has given you the skills needed for postgraduate level study, and how taking this course will support your personal and/or professional development plans
- provides a brief sketch of the research area which you would like to pursue in a future PhD programme
3. Prepare your supporting documents - two references (including at least one academic reference), evidence of your academic qualifications, and evidence that you meet our English language entry requirements (if English is not your first language)
4. Complete the additional email@example.com- including your personal statement; your completed Masters Excellence Studentships application form should be returned by email to
Important Advice for Applicants
- Both the online application and the Masters Excellence Studentships application form must be submitted by the deadline which is 9 June 2017.
- Applications that do not include a personal statement and the required supporting documents will not be considered.
- Applicants who do not also submit the additional Masters Excellence Studentships application form will not be considered.
- In the Fees and Financial Support section of the application, applicants must state that they wish to be considered for these 2017-18 Masters Excellence Studentships (ref. CAHL)