We welcome students from Mexico!
If you are graduating from Upper Secondary School with the qualification of Bachillerato you will need to complete a Foundation Year to be eligible for admission to an undergraduate degree at Leicester. For information about the International Foundation Year please see the .
Undergraduate (Bachelors) degrees
- If you are studying A-levels or the International Baccalaureate (IB) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelors degree. Please see individual course pages for entry requirements.
- If you have already completed the first year of an undergraduate degree at a Mexican university, you may be considered for entry to the first year of a Bachelors degree if you have studied relevant subjects.
For more information about available degrees please see individual course pages.
Postgraduate (Masters) degrees
If you hold a Bachelors degree (Licenciatura) with a minimum average of 8.0/10.0 you will be considered for entry to a Masters degree.
For more information about available degrees please see the individual course pages.
PhDs and other research degrees
To apply for a PhD (or other postgraduate research qualification, such as MPhil, DClinPsy, DSocSci, EdD or MD) you must have a Bachelors degree (Licenciatura) from a recognised Mexican university, usually in a related subject area, with a minimum average of 8.0/10.0 (depending on the subject you wish to study) which is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class Honours degree (also known as a 2:1).
You must also be able to demonstrate practical knowledge of appropriate research methodologies. Research degrees are demanding and intensive: to succeed at this level you must be highly motivated, be able to work independently, and have an appropriate familiarity with the discipline and its associated research techniques/methodologies.
Where a Masters degree is required, this is indicated in the relevant description on our Postgraduate Research webpages, together with further information about requirement.
English language requirements
Please see details of our English language requirements
Scholarships and funding opportunities
The University of Leicester offers a number of scholarships for new international students. You should also check in your own country whether scholarships are available for study overseas, from your government or other organisations.
- President's Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
FUNED: We have an agreement with the Fundación Mexicana para la Educación, La Tecnología y la Ciencia (FUNED) through which we offer scholarships worth a 20% discount in tuition fees. For more information, please visit the FUNED website. Students may combine scholarships from FUNED with a Santander scholarship.
FIDERH - Banco de Mexico: We have an agreement with the Fondo para el Desarrollo de Recursos Humanos of Banco de Mexico (FIDERH) through which we offer scholarships worth a 20% discount in tuition fees. For more information, please visit the FIDERH website. Students may combine scholarships from FIDERH with a Santander scholarship.
- We have a limited number of University of Leicester Santander Scholarships from Banco Santander. These are worth up to £5,000 and are available for all one-year, full-time taught Masters degrees.
You can combine fee discounts from FIDERH or FUNED with a Santander scholarship. Please note that the Santander scholarship is deducted first and the fee discount is then subtracted from the balance.
You can combine a President’s Postgraduate Scholarship or College Scholarship with a Santander scholarship; however, it is not possible to combine a fee discount from FIDERH or FUNED with a President’s Postgraduate Scholarship or College Scholarship.
- CONACYT: The Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia (CONACYT) offers scholarships for postgraduate studies abroad.
- Lumni Mexico provide interest-free loans for postgraduate studies abroad. Please contact Gloria Rodríguez for further information.
- Any scholarships which are for a specific degree will be listed on the relevant course page
Visits to your country
No visits planned at present
We have student exchange agreements with:
- Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla
- Universidad de las Américas Puebla
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Agents and Representatives
The University of Leicester works with a representative in Mexico. For details, please contact the International Office.