We welcome students from Sri Lanka!
If you do not meet the criteria for entry to an Undergraduate course you will need to complete a Foundation Year to be eligible for admission to an undergraduate degree at Leicester. For information about the International Foundation Year please see the .
Undergraduate (Bachelors) degrees
- If you have completed the Sri Lankan General Certificate of Education (Advanced level) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelors degree. Your offer will normally be equivalent to the UK A-level requirements, so please see individual course pages for information about entry requirements.
- If you are studying A-levels or the International Baccalaureate (IB) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelors degree. Please see individual course pages for entry requirements.
- If you have already completed the first year of an undergraduate degree at a Sri Lankan university, you may be considered for entry to the first or second year of a Bachelors degree if you have studied relevant subjects.
For more information about available degrees please see the individual course pages.
Postgraduate (Masters) degrees
If you hold a four-year Bachelor Special Degree or a three-year Bachelor General Degree with an overall grade of 60% (depending on the subject that you wish to study) can be considered for entry to a Master's degree.
For more information about courses please see individual course pages.
PhDs and other research degrees
To apply for a PhD (or other postgraduate research qualification, such as MPhil, DClinPsy, DSocSci, EdD or MD) you must have a four-year Bachelor Special Degree or a three-year Bachelor General Degree from a recognised Sri Lankan university with an overall grade of 60%, usually in a related subject area (depending on the subject that you wish to study) which is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class Honours degree (also known as a 2:1).
You must also be able to demonstrate practical knowledge of appropriate research methodologies. Research degrees are demanding and intensive: to succeed at this level you must be highly motivated, be able to work independently, and have an appropriate familiarity with the discipline and its associated research techniques/methodologies.
Where a Masters degree is required, this is indicated in the relevant description on our Postgraduate Research webpages, together with further information about requirement.
English language requirements
Scholarships and funding opportunities
The University of Leicester offers a number of scholarships for new international students, and you can find details of these below. You should also check in your own country whether scholarships are available for study overseas, either from your government or other organisations.
- The College of Science and Engineering provides partial undergraduate scholarships to Sri Lankan students achieving good marks in their previous study. You will receive up to 28% discount on tuition fees for a full-time, undergraduate (Bachelors) laboratory-based degree.
College of Science and Engineering Postgraduate Scholarship: As a permanent resident of Sri Lanka you can receive up to 28% discount on the tuition fee for a full-time, taught postgraduate (Masters) laboratory-based degree if you meet or exceed the academic conditions of your offer. For a non-lab-based course, you will automatically receive a 10% discount on your tuition fee if you meet or exceed the academic conditions of your offer.
- There are Commonwealth Scholarships available for some Masters degrees.
- Any scholarships which are for a specific degree will be listed on the relevant course page.
Visits to your country
No visits planned at present