South Korea

We welcome students from Korea!flag of South Korea

Entry requirements


If you have graduated from High School in Korea you will need to complete a Foundation Year to be eligible for admission to an undergraduate degree in the UK. For information about the International Foundation Year please see the International Study Centre website.

Undergraduate (Bachelors) degrees

  • If you are studying A-levels or the International Baccalaureate (IB) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelors degree. Please see individual course pages for entry requirements.
  • If you have already completed the first year of an undergraduate degree at a Korean university, you may be considered for entry to the first year of a Bachelors degree if you have studied relevant subjects.

For more information about available degrees please see individual course pages.

Postgraduate (Masters) degrees

If you have been awarded a four-year Bachelors degree you can be considered for entry to a Masters degree at Leicester.

We require a GPA of at least 3.2 out of 4.5 overall for our degrees in Arts, Humanities, Law and Social Science. For other degrees the score required may be slightly lower. Some individual modules relevant to your chosen Masters degree may require specific scores.

For more information about available degrees please see the individual course pages

PhDs and other research degrees

To apply for a PhD (or other postgraduate research qualification, such as MPhil, DClinPsy, DSocSci, EdD or MD) you must have an undergraduate (Bachelors) degree from a recognised Korean university, usually in a related subject area, with a GPA of at least 3.2 out of 4.5 overall (depending on the subject that you wish to study) which is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class Honours degree (also known as a 2:1).

You must also be able to demonstrate practical knowledge of appropriate research methodologies. Research degrees are demanding and intensive: to succeed at this level you must be highly motivated, be able to work independently, and have an appropriate familiarity with the discipline and its associated research techniques/methodologies.

Where a Masters degree is required, this is indicated in the relevant description on our Postgraduate Research webpages, together with further information about requirement.

English language requirements

Please see details of our English language requirements.

Scholarships and funding opportunities

The University of Leicester offers a number of scholarships for new international students. You should also check in your own country whether scholarships are available for study overseas, from your government or other organisations.


Visits to your country

No visits planned at present

Exchange and Study Abroad agreements

We currently have student exchange and/or study abroad agreements with 6 Universities in South Korea. For a complete list, please visit our Study Abroad section.

Agents and Representatives

The University of Leicester works with several agents in the Republic of Korea. For information about the agents with whom we work, please contact our East Asia team in the International Office.

Student Societies

Other sources of information