We welcome students from Malaysia!
If you do not meet the criteria for entry to an undergraduate course will need to complete a Foundation Year to be eligible for admission to an undergraduate degree at Leicester. For information about the International Foundation Year please see the .
Undergraduate (Bachelors) degrees
- If you are studying STPM (Malaysian Higher School Certificate) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelors degree. Please see individual course pages for entry requirements. STPM grade requirements are the same as UK A-level grade requirements.
- If you are studying A-levels, or the International Baccalaureate (IB) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelors degree. Please see individual course pages for entry requirements.
- The Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) is considered on a case by case basis. Exact entry requirements will vary between degrees. For further information please contact Dr Stephanie Bostock (firstname.lastname@example.org) in our International Office.
- If you have already completed the first year of an undergraduate degree at a Malaysian university, you may be considered for entry to the first or second year of a Bachelors degree if you have studied relevant subjects and/or modules.
Postgraduate (Masters) degrees
If you hold a Bachelors degree with a minimum classification of 2:2/2:1 (depending on the subject that you wish to study) you will be considered for entry to a Masters degree.
For more information about courses please see individual course pages.
PhDs and other research degrees
To apply for a PhD (or other postgraduate research qualification, such as MPhil, DClinPsy, DSocSci, EdD or MD) you must have an undergraduate (Bachelors) degree from a recognised Malaysian university, usually in a related subject area, with a minimum classification of 2:2/2:1 (depending on the subject that you wish to study).
You must also be able to demonstrate practical knowledge of appropriate research methodologies. Research degrees are demanding and intensive: to succeed at this level you must be highly motivated, be able to work independently, and have an appropriate familiarity with the discipline and its associated research techniques/methodologies.
Where a Masters degree is required, this is indicated in the relevant description on our Postgraduate Research webpages, together with further information about requirement.
English language requirements
Scholarships and funding opportunities
The University of Leicester offers a number of scholarships for new international students. You should also check in your own country whether scholarships are available for study overseas, from your government or other organisations.
- The College of Science and Engineering provides partial undergraduate scholarships to Malaysian students achieving good marks in their previous study. You will receive up to 28% discount on tuition fees for a full-time, undergraduate (Bachelors) laboratory-based degree.
- President's Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
College of Science and Engineering Postgraduate Scholarship: As a permanent resident of Malaysia you can receive up to 28% discount on the tuition fee for a full-time, taught postgraduate (Masters) laboratory-based degree if you meet or exceed the academic conditions of your offer. For a non-lab-based course, you will automatically receive a 10% discount on your tuition fee if you meet or exceed the academic conditions of your offer.
- There are Commonwealth Shared Scholarships available for some Masters degrees.
- Any scholarships which are for a specific degree will be listed on the relevant course page.
Visits to your country
There are no visits planned at present.
Find out more about the experiences of other Malaysian students at Leicester:
Agents and Representatives
The University of Leicester works with several agents in Malaysia. For information about the agents with whom we work, please contact Dr Stephanie Bostock (email@example.com) in our International Office.