If you love live music, Leicester has so much to offer – much more than you might think! We have our own O2 Academy on campus with loads of top bands, as well as the usual student nights. The Enemy and the Twang, the Charlatans, Beardyman, Steel Panther are playing here this year alone.
De Montfort Hall is within a stone’s throw of the campus. You can catch international bands such as Bombay Bicycle Club, Human League, Jools Holland, Blue and Placebo, as well as huge comedy names.
Don’t forget the incredible music festivals that Leicester has to offer:
- Simon Says Festival features local bands such as The South, By the Rivers and Vibronics. The festival itself takes place right next door to the University at De Montfort Hall and caters for all tastes with several different stages, as well as food stalls and real ale tents. The festival is usually a huge sell-out so get your tickets early and immerse yourself in the local music scene.
- The Handmade Festival presents new and underground music in unusual spaces across the city, alongside comedy, art and photography.
Leicester is home to some amazing intimate venues which showcase the best in the Midlands:
- The Donkey is an intimate venue right next to the campus that has seen Fun Lovin Criminals, Alabama 3 and The Beautiful South perform.
- Firebug hosts regular gigs from our very own University of Leicester Band and Gig Society. Firebug also plays host to the regular White Noise Festival.
- The Musician pride themselves on the eclectic acts that they are able to book. Live music at least six nights a week.
- The Shed based in Leicester’s Cultural Quarter this venue has long been a place for up and coming rock, metal and ska bands to hone their craft – check it out to see the next big thing on the Midlands music scene.