Health and welfare

Student Welfare Service

The Student Welfare Service, based in the Charles Wilson Building, provides a practical service designed to meet the needs of all students, including mature, postgraduate and international students.

Student Welfare Officers offer specialist advice on issues including

  • Immigration
  • Visa renewal
  • Accommodation
  • Health promotion
  • Childcare and benefits
  • Finding childcare
  • Financial difficulties
  • Financial advice
  • Spending time with a British family
  • Personal problems

Student Welfare Reception,
Charles Wilson Building

+44 (0)116 223 1185

National Health Service

The NHS provides free treatment to students who are from the UK or the European Economic Area (EEA). If you are a student from a country in the European Union or EEA, here for less than six months, you will need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which must be obtained from your home country before you travel to the UK. Charges are made by the NHS for certain services, such as prescription medicines and dental treatment.

If you are an international student from outside the EEA and you are studying here for more than six months, you will need to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge. This surcharge is £150 per visa year. This means that if you apply for a 12 month course, you will be charged £225 (this is because you can be granted leave for a maximum period of 17 months). This price is calculated as £150 (one year) plus £75 (any additional period of six months or less is charged at the rate of half the annual amount)

You must pay the surcharge as this will be a mandatory part of the immigration process. You must make sure that you have completed your immigration application and paid the surcharge for the duration of you visa.

If you're from Australia or New Zealand you must still complete this process through the surcharge website. you will be informed that the payment is nothing but you will still receive a unique surcharge reference number. You'll need this number for your immigration application.

Private treatment outside the NHS is available, but can be extremely expensive. If you are an international student it is advisable to arrange private healthcare insurance before you arrive. If you already have private healthcare insurance at home, you should contact your insurance company to find out whether your policy will provide additional cover while you are studying in the UK, or if you plan to travel outside the UK, for example, during vacations.

Student Healthy Living Service

The Student Healthy Living Service aims to help you enjoy a balanced life; the service can help you to identify an approach to life which can enhance study, enable you to thrive and reach your full potential. The service is committed to the delivery and improvement of health and wellbeing activities that support you in developing life skills. As well as supporting academic achievement, these skills are transferable and should prove beneficial as you move from university to the demands of employment and graduate careers. The Healthy Living Service works closely with the Victoria Park Health Centre and also provides direction to appropriate health care services.

+44 (0)116 223 1268
Healthy living website

Dental Care

The NHS Dental Access centre offers a 24 hour service and will advise what to do if you require dental care whilst in Leicester:

The NHS Dental Access Centre,
10 Nelson Street,
+44 (0)116 295 1278


Nightline is a student-run helpline that operates every night during term-time between 8 pm and 8 am It aims to provide confidential emotional support on any topic that the caller wishes to discuss, a wealth of comprehensive information (from cinema listings to helpline numbers), as well as company for anyone who simply wants a chat.

Trained student volunteers, known as Nightliners, run the service and ensure complete caller anonymity. Nightline can ring callers back if requested, no call will ever be refused, and a choice of female or male listener will be available to talk to.

+44 (0)116 223 1230 (8pm - 8am term-time)