What is an academic appeal?

An academic appeal is a procedure which allows you in certain circumstances to ask for a review of a decision relating to your academic progress or award. Decisions about your progress are usually made by a Board of Examiners although other academic bodies may be involved - for example, in the case of a research student a thesis committee may make a recommendation about their progress, and internal and external examiners will make decisions about the student’s thesis.

Circumstances in which you may submit an appeal include the following:

  • a decision about your progress has been taken that prevents you from continuing your studies, such as a decision to terminate your registration
  • a decision has been taken that requires you to interrupt your studies - for example, you have been granted an opportunity to be re-assessed in failed modules in a resit without residence year;
  • you have been transferred to a lower award - for example, if you are a research student and following your probation review you have been transferred to an MPhil;
  • a decision has been taken not to make an award to you and the consequence is that your studies will be terminated; 
  • a decision to award a lower qualification to you than that for which you are registered, for example if you are registered for a PhD and are recommended for an M.Phil or you are registered for a master’s degree and are recommended for a postgraduate diploma or certificate.

If you have a complaint about teaching or supervision or circumstances that relate to the delivery of your programme before you are examined these should be raised as a complaint with your department at the earliest opportunity and, if necessary, a formal complaint submitted using the Complaints Procedures (see Senate Regulation 12).

Back to top