How to apply
Before you apply
- Do you want to apply for the MPhil or PhD program?
- Do you meet the entry requirements?
- Have you got all the supporting documents?
- Have you selected a research project from our available projects?
- How will you be funding your study?
- Have you checked the specific application instructions on the project page?
Completing your application
- Applications for both MPhil and PhD programmes are completed online. You will need to submit your Research Interests Form before completing the online application form.
- To avoid disappointment, applicants are advised to apply as early as possible.
- Please upload your supporting documents with your online application, as missing documents may lead to a delay in processing your application.
- If you are applying for a studentship advertised by the Department, please refer to the application instructions on the project page.
After you apply
- Your application will be reviewed by the Research Groups.
- If you are invited to interview, interviews will normally take place either in person or by telephone. The interview process allows us to determine your suitability for the research project.
- Once a decision has been made, you will be notified by email.
- If you wish to check on the status of your application, please contact the Programme Administrator.
Each year we hold two PhD Interview Days where we invite UK based applicants to visit the Department.
The interview dates for 2019 are Wednesday 20 February 2019 and Wednesday 6 March 2019.
In order to be considered for the Interview Days your complete application will need to be submitted by 31 January.
Applications received after the deadline will not be given priority, but may still be considered.
Applicants for the CENTA funded projects, will not be included on these interview days. If you have applied for a CENTA funded project, you will be contacted separately.
A typical programme for a PhD Interview Day includes:
- Registration and welcome voffee
- Welcome from the Head of Department
- Talk from our Postgraduate Admissions Tutor
- Lunch with members of the Department and current postgraduate students
- Interview/s with Research Groups - this will also involve the chance to meet with other members of the Research Group
Travel costs and overnight accommodation
Reasonable travel costs will be reimbursed, details will be provided at the interview. If overnight accommodation is required, please notify the Programme Administrator if you are invited to interview.