How to apply
Application instructions for funded projects
- If the project is funded by CENTA/NERC please follow these instructions.
- If the project is funded by IMPACT/EPSRC please view advice on the IMPaCT website.
- If the project is funded by STFC please view our application instructions.
Application instructions for projects without funding
For projects without funding, please see below and apply using the generic Research Interests form (docx., 61kb).
Before you apply
- Do you want to apply for the MPhil or PhD program?
- Do you meet the entry requirements?
- Have you got all the supporting documents?
- Have you selected a research project from our available projects?
- How will you be funding your study?
- Have you checked the specific application instructions on the project page?
Completing your application
- Applications for both MPhil and PhD programmes are completed online. You will need to submit the appropriate Research Interests Form (Word doc, 61kb) with the online application form.
- To avoid disappointment, applicants are advised to apply as early as possible.
- Please upload your supporting documents with your online application, as missing documents may lead to a delay in processing your application.
- If you are applying for a studentship advertised by the Department, please refer to the application instructions on the projects page.
After you apply
- Your application will be reviewed by the Research Groups.
- If you are invited to interview, interviews will normally take place either in person or by telephone. The interview process allows us to determine your suitability for the research project.
- Once a decision has been made, you will be notified by email.
- If you wish to check on the status of your application, please contact the Programme Administrator.
In order to be considered for the Interview Days your complete application will need to be submitted by 31 January.
Applications received after the deadline will not be given priority, but may still be considered.
A typical programme for a PhD Interview Day includes:
- Registration and welcome coffee
- Welcome from the Head of Department
- Talk from our Postgraduate Admissions Tutor
- Lunch with members of the Department and current postgraduate students
- Interview/s with Research Groups - this will also involve the chance to meet with other members of the Research Group
Travel costs and overnight accommodation
Reasonable travel costs will be reimbursed, details will be provided at the interview. If overnight accommodation is required, please notify the Programme Administrator if you are invited to interview.