European Texts in Translation 2
Module code: SP2050
Module co-ordinator: Dr Marc Ripley
This course will introduce you to some of the key texts of European cinema and will promote discussion of their thematic and stylistic features, and of what we can learn from them in their historical and social context. Consideration will also be given to questions posed by the different versions of the texts that have appeared in English translation.
Upon successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate recognition of the thematic, narrative and stylistic features of texts associated with different European cinematic movements.
- Apply this awareness to the analysis of a range of texts.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the cultural, social and historical contexts relevant to these texts.
- Show evidence of increased intercultural awareness through the ability to draw comparisons and contrasts between texts arising out of different national contexts.
- Give presentations based on personal research and the critical appraisal of sources.
- La madre muerta (Juanma Bajo Ulloa, 1993)
- One per week (seminar); two hours (film screening)
- Seminar presentations