Spanish Language Post-Beginners, 3 and 4
Module code: SP2005
Module co-ordinator: Dr Anna Vives
This module will extend your communicative and receptive skills in Spanish Language and build upon your understanding of advanced functions from a Beginners’ level in year 1 to an A-level standard by the end of the second year in preparation for your year abroad in a Spanish-speaking country (equivalent to B1 of European Languages Framework).
At the end of this module you will be able to:
- Extend your grammatical understanding to incorporate complex structures.
- Write accurately in Spanish using a variety of registers and structures.
- Extract information from a variety of written and spoken sources and respond to it.
- Discuss topics of general and current interest in Spanish (including those that relate to your year abroad), take part in debates and simulations, as well as make individual oral presentations.
- Work independently to consolidate language skills.
Teaching and Learning methods
Your study of the language will be placed in a context that relates to aspects of contemporary life, society and culture in Spain and Latin America. There are three contact hours per week (one two-hour and one single hour), in which you will take part in a variety of integrated learning activities set in authentic contexts, including the practice of oral and aural skills, reading comprehension and responsive writing tasks.
You are expected to attend and participate in all three contact hours, having done the necessary preparation set by the tutor, as they form an essential part of the learning process. Your programme of study will also incorporate an autonomous learning element based on films, books, and conversations with a native speaker (tandem).
You will need to purchase a copy of: Damaris Álvarez Ramos et al., Destino Erasmus 2 (Universitat de Barcelona and SGEL, 2009 edition)
The following are recommended for purchase:
- Pilar Muñoz and Mike Thacker, A Spanish Learning Grammar (Arnold, 2001)
- The Oxford Spanish Dictionary or The Collins Spanish Dictionary (latest editions)
And these are recommended for reference:
- Juan Kattán-Ibarra and Christopher J Pountain, Modern Spanish Grammar. A Practical Guide (Routledge, 1997)
- Juan Kattán-Ibarra, Modern Spanish Grammar Workbook (Routledge, 1997)
- Phil Turk, Acción Gramática (Hodder & Stoughton, 2000)