A History of Spain
Module code: SP1051
Module co-ordinator: Dr Maite Usoz de la Fuente
This module will provide you with a broad understanding of key moments of Spain’s historical development from its origins to the modern era.
On successful completion of this module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a familiarity with key aspects of Spain’s historical development.
- Critically evaluate secondary literature.
- Assemble ideas and mount an argument clearly and coherently in written and spoken English, incorporating bibliographical information accurately and consistently.
- 5 hours of lectures
- 5 hours of seminars
- 90 hours of guided independent study
- An historical map of Spain
- Spain’s religious heritage
- The Spanish Inquisition
- Philip II and the Catholic Reformation
- The decline of Spain in the 17th century
- Liberalism and Conservatism
- The Spanish Civil War
- Franco’s Spain
- Essay, 1,500-2,000 words (100%)
- Simon Barton, A History of Spain (Palgrave, 2004)
- Raymond Carr, Spain. A History (Oxford, 2000)
- Henry Kamen, Golden Age Spain (Palgrave, 2005)
- Paul Preston, A Concise History of the Spanish Civil War (Fontana, 1996)