Spanish Literature and Film
Module code: SP1041
Module co-ordinator: Dr Emma Staniland
This module will explore a number of contemporary literary and cultural genres (including a short story, short novel and film) and place them in the context of Spain’s recent socio-political development.
At the end of this module you will be able to apply critical skills to your reading of texts and films and demonstrate your understanding in oral and written analysis of particular themes.
- 5 hours of lectures
- 5 hours of seminars
- 90 hours of guided independent study
- Essay, 1,500 to 2,000 words (100%)
- Play: Federico García Lorca, Yerma (trans. Yerma)
- Short stories: Montserrat Lunatí, Días de Lluvia (trans. Rainy Days)
- Film: Pedro Almodóvar, Volver (trans. Volver)
All texts are available in English translation and film with English sub-titles.