Module code: NS4011
Module co-ordinator: TBC
In this module you will study the use of computer software to control electronic equipment. You will develop a model demonstration of an automated mono-rail system using an Arduino controller.
We will then use numerical methods to solve differential equations, exploring the basic concepts which underlie how continuous systems can be successfully discretised for digital computers.
Finally we will explore fractals and chaos, and the link between the two which underlies one of the limits to computer simulations.
- Microcontroller programming
- Using an Arduino device
- Protocols and libraries
- Numerical methods
- Diffusion equation and stability
- Fractals and chaos
- 10 one-hour computer workshops + 7 two-hour computer workshops
- Microcontroller programming report and source code (50%)
- 2 portfolios including answers to exercises and commentary on material (50%)