Research Methods and Management
Module code: MS7004
Module co-ordinator: Anders Hansen
Starting with an overview of key trends and debates in approaches to communication research, this module offers an introduction to central methods and approaches for the study of media and communications content.
- The relationship between theory and method in the social sciences.
- The nature of research and the research process.
- The strengths and weaknesses of a broad range of approaches and methods for analysing media and communication processes.
- The implications of computers and new media for studying / analysing communication and social processes.
- How to identify, access and use information and communication resources in the social sciences.
- How to collect, manage, analyse and interpret social science research data.
- 10 one-hour lectures
- 10 one-hour seminars
- Computing assignment (20%)
- Content analysis project report. 4,000+1,000 words (80%)