Electronic Tools for Translators
Module code: ML2004
Module co-ordinator: Dr Claire Yi-Yi Shih
This module will be taught in weekly workshops with an emphasis on directed hands-on practice at using electronic tools and resources for translators and on critical evaluation of such tools and resources. Students will learn to manage terminologies digitally and demonstrate the process of completing a translation assignment by using industry-standard computer-assisted translation software, such as SDL Trados.
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of this module, you should be able to:
- Manage terminologies using computer-assisted terminology management programme (i.e. MultiTerm)
- Demonstrate the process of completing a translation assignment using computer-assisted translation software (i.e. SDL Trados)
- Select and use appropriate multilingual corpora in completing a translation assignment
- Demonstrate essential functions of such tools and resources
- Critically evaluate such tools and resources
Teaching and Learning Methods
This module is taught in weekly workshops with an emphasis on directed hands-on practice at using electronic translation tools and resources and on the critical evaluation of such tools and resources. Students will also be able to use the tools and resources available at fixed times during the week (4 hours per week in addition to scheduled workshops).
Students' achievements in this module will be assessed through a demonstration of the functions of a piece of translation software in completing a translation assignment, and a 1,000-word commentary on the creation of the translation, the tools and resources used, and their fitness for the task.