Module code: ML2003
Module co-ordinator: Dr Yan Ying
This module will be taught via a combination of practical lectures and workshops where students will practise translating semi-specialised texts, in the following themes, technology, business and literature. Students will learn to discuss concepts of text functions and text genre and apply critical text analytic skills.
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Select and employ appropriate linguistic strategies in translating a variety of semi-specialised texts in the fields of technology, business and literature into and out of English
- Explain how text function, target readership and genre conventions influence their translation choices
- Analyse their source texts and target texts critically
- 10 hours of lectures
- 10 hours of practical classes and workshops
- 180 hours of guided independent study
The module is taught via a combination of lectures and workshops where students will have ample opportunities to practise translating semi-specialised texts falling within the domains of technology, business and literature. Non-assessed formative tasks, including directed reading and translation assignments, are integrated into the syllabus.
- Translation portfolio: 3 pieces of translation work, each 750 words, and a commentary of 750 words (100%)